Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:19 AM   #1

Default Panasonic FZ 35 - Need your suggestions

Hi All,

Picked up a FZ 35 a week back, yet to get a grip on the settings. These are few shots I took today at a park. I am not too excited with the outcome especially with the colours . Had posted a thread on the same earlier. Few friends at the forum gave me some valuable tips, will keep experimenting.

Would appreciate your feedback on how I could have improved on these shots.

Regards
Attached Images

deepakpraveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:02 AM   #2

The majority of the pictures probably would benefit by changing to spot focus. It seems focus is the biggest thing that needs work. The last one has a shutter speed of 1/20 of a second. That's a very slow shutter speed to hand hold. You'd be better keeping the shutter speed above 1/100. If you are using the iA mode try using the P mode or S mode to keep the shutter speed up. Plus using the settings mentioned in your other post pertaining to saturation, sharpness, etc.
Also picture taking "technique" has a great deal to do with getting good focus and eliminating blur.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything

Last edited by Clint501; Oct 24, 2010 at 11:31 AM.
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:10 AM   #3

do not use digital zoom pls. while u can optical zoom!
always number pics u r posting.
p&s cameras never produce crisp images @ 100% crop, u have to re size them smaller one with some editor. (try irfanview, its free.)

last pic is just too shaky, did u have image stabilizer on? even if so , u had to keep the shutter speed 1/40ish minimum.
or the shake was caused by the wind ? in this case, u should have tried 1/640 or faster shutter speed with image stabilizer off.

try again!

Last edited by flyhigh; Oct 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM.
flyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:22 PM   #4

@Clint : All pics were shot using Aperture Mode. Will work on the focus part
@ Fly :None of these are using digital zoom, all were shot in Macro..I got as close to the butterflies as possible, no cropping either...You are right, the shake was due to the wind.Will try your suggestions.

Thanks guys for your suggestions
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:32 PM   #5

deepak, first 4 pics exif show digital zooms of 2.2x -3x, may be u have used that unknowingly.

u better learn the manual mode first !

for macros. clint is the expert.. he will guide u through.

Last edited by flyhigh; Oct 24, 2010 at 12:35 PM.
flyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:44 PM   #6

Yes - digital zoom will definitely kill the quality of an image. I never use it.

If I want a good depth of field, I set the macro setting to creative and toggle up to F8, That will give you a little more focus area but you neeed more light to do that plus keep your shutter up so you won't get blur. I also use mode 2 setting on the stabilization.

Fly - thanks for the compliment - sometimes I get a lucky bug shot.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 4:05 PM   #7

Good starting settings (I learned these from Sarah Joyce):

(1) Set to “P” on the Mode Selector.
(2) Set ISO to “Auto ISO". Set the ISO limit to 400 for outdoors and 800 for indoors. Any higher and your picture will be noisy (grainy).
(3) Set the WB to “Auto WB” when shooting out doors.
(4) Set the focus point initially to center point focus.
(5) After the photo has been recorded, check how the exposure looks on the cameras LCD screen. Correct by using Minus Exposure Compensation, and re-shoot.
(6) Remember, any zoom over 18x is either digital zoom or extended zoom and will not look nearly as good as optical zoom. If you keep zooming, your camera will automatically go into these modes.

Once you get a good handle with these basic settings, you can start experimenting. Good luck!
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 1:18 PM   #8

Hey thanks all, work has been keeping me away from replying ( and shooting).

Thanks Sally for the step by step instructions will give it a shot - a DUMB question "Minus Exposure Compensation" whats that been trying to figure it out, could you pls explain ?

Thanks for the tip flyhigh I luv macro shots , that makes Flint my Guru!!!

Another question, I had shot a dragonfly few days back was trying to get the face on focus and backgrounds blurred but ended up with body of the fly sharp instead - The metering mode is set to centre, how do I get the focus on the exact spot I would like ?

To enhance colours I was told to shoot in Dynamic mode, couldnt figure that one either - sorry to bother you with very basic questions this is my 1st exposure to serious photography.

Really appreciate your help.Thx
Attached Images

Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakpraveen View Post
Another question, I had shot a dragonfly few days back was trying to get the face on focus and backgrounds blurred but ended up with body of the fly sharp instead - The metering mode is set to centre, how do I get the focus on the exact spot I would like ?
Easy way is to get the head in the centre, half click the shutter which will lock the focus and then move to centre the body.
Second way is to click the little focus button on the top and you can then use the buttons to move the focus area around
You're also confusing the metering mode which affects the exposure and the focus mode which sets the focus.

Quote:
"Minus Exposure Compensation" whats that been trying to figure it out, could you pls explain ?
Again two ways, in P-Mode at least, move the little joystick left and then you can move it up or down to adjust the exposure. I always have it set to -1/3 as a starting point. Second way is to click the button with +- on it and then scroll left or right. if you press the +- again you can adjust the bracketing and a third time lets you change the intensity of the flash.

Last edited by MartinSykes; Oct 27, 2010 at 2:12 PM.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakpraveen View Post
Hey thanks all, work has been keeping me away from replying ( and shooting).

To enhance colours I was told to shoot in Dynamic mode, couldnt figure that one either - sorry to bother you with very basic questions this is my 1st exposure to serious photography.

Really appreciate your help.Thx

To focus on his face, make sure your camera is set to Point Focus. Place the "+" on his face, depress shutter halfway to freeze, then compose the shot.

Probably the easiest way to enhance color is to set the Saturation to +1 or +2 (in the Pict Adj menu). Also, if it's a really cloudy day, trying using the flash to bring the colors out.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote