Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:03 PM   #1

Default Wanted: Pocket camera with OVF or EVF

Hi Folks,
I have several nice long zoom cameras but on my quail hunting trips I prefer a camera that fits in the pocket of my hunting shirt. These are handy and quick to put in action for stills and videos of my bird dogs. I have a couple of small Canons but have gotten spoiled by HD video and now find myself carrying my Panasonic FZ35 just so I have the better video. It's a wonderful camera but sort of awkward in the field with the lens cap etc.

I'd like to find something with at least 5X zoom, an EVF or OVF, and HD video. There are many nice cameras by Panasonic and Canon that fit my requirements but none that have both HD video and a viewfinder.

Since I don't think there is such a camera, is there one where the LCD is really usable in bright sun? I may have to compromise on the EVF/OVF requirement.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:08 PM   #2

think the only pocket cam that has any type of vf is the canon A1100 IS. But no video, only a 4x zoom.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:14 PM   #3

Thanks Shoturtle,....I have the Canon A1000. It is a great little camera with very good VGA video and good sound etc, very nice pictures. I'm just spoiled by the HD video now.

It's interesting that even the new high end Canons with viewfinders don't have HD.

Oh well,......
Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:20 PM   #4

The G12 does have a OVF and HD, but it is a jacket pocket camera.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:47 PM   #5

Hey,....that might work out! I have big shirt pockets.

I'm going out tomorrow and have resolved to leave the FZ35 lens cap off and leave the camera out of the little neoprene bag it fits in. If I can get it into action a little faster that way, I may be happy.

Thanks for the G12 suggestion. I'll look into that.

Jack
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:48 AM   #6

Jack you might try something like this... the price is right anyway...
http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/02/08...era-belt-clip/
or this
http://www.spiderholster.com/blackwidow/
or this...
http://www.spiderholster.com/#spider-pin
http://www.spiderholster.com/#spider-pro
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:47 PM   #7

Those are interesting gadgets. Thanks for the links. Unfortunately my belt is covered by the belt of my shell vest and there's really no place to wear a camera,......except around my neck.

Tomorrow, I plan to take the FZ35 out of it's Optech neoprene bag and just carry it around my neck with the strap shortened,....and the lens cap off. I'm sure I can make do. The worst that can happen is the birds get away while I'm fiddling with the camera,.......and that's okay too. They'll be there next week.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:37 PM   #8

Those Canon G cameras are somewhat compact but on the heavy side. Unfortunately, manufacturers have replaced the EVF by a larger LCD on just about any compact P&S. The ones with a viewfinder, it's actually not a viewfinder but a glass tunnel. That means what you see has very little to do with what you get. To get a tru EVF you'll have to move to the superzoom models.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote