Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:37 AM   #1

Default Learning FZ35 settings from you(Experts)..!

Hello friend..just baught FZ35 few days back and read the manual + sarah Joyce's user guide and reading the advice posted by Clint, LTZ470,Raghu etc..its really a great help..thank you all..you are really wonderful..I have taken some wonderful pic. with auto settings..but now trying different mode also..hope to get guidence from all the senior friends of this nice forum..

Pl. look at the first few of the pictures i have taken..first attachment is taken in indoor , using Manual mode setting fixing f3.6, exp.time 6 sec.by mounting camera on firm surface while second one with f4. and exp.time of again 6 sec. keeping everything in same position .The first one shows ISO 80 while Second ISO 100 why its so..and my question is how can i set less exposure time so that i can stretch ISO around < 250 even in Indoor photos..with less exp.time..through manual mode..
Sorry for stupid question..I am totally novice in the field of photography..
Next question arise within short time....!!
Any suggestion are welcome..
Thanks again all of you ..! helped me in searching this lovely camera...
Attached Images

jim007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:52 AM   #2

It must have been pretty dark for a 6 second exposure.
I would have used the flash in that situation.

First off, I'd suggest taking a few in the iA mode. It does pretty good setting everything for you. If you are a novice jumping into all manual can be a bit difficult.

As to your question, if in manual, you can use the Quick Menu and choose an ISO of whatever you want. The higher the ISO the less exposure time needed. But then it also depends on your aperture setting. The lower the aperture number the less exposure or shutter is needed.

Your first 2 pictures look a bit out of focus. Placing the camera in the Macro mode with the flash open probably would have produced a better picture.

The flower looks better (hibiscus?) but it's a tad overexposed. It also looks a bit out of focus. By using the P mode you can accomplish pretty much what ever you want to do.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:31 PM   #3

thank you very much.. clint for the reply, first two pictures are just taken for getting the idea about shutter speed exp. time & ISO for the same situation..in M mode.
yes, its hibiscus ..the leaves are more clearer then flower itself right..? picture was taken around 9 AM in bright light. does that reason of overexpoing..? how to slove the problem as we have a bright light througout the day in outdoors..
I think more and more photos taking in IA and P mode will help me understand the virtue of this camera..
hope to learn from all of you..thanks..again..for reply..
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:53 PM   #4

Not bad at ll Jim...most of all have fun!...
Steadying the camera is the most important of all and of course getting an accurate AF...try the different metering and focusng out...for close ups Spot Focus and Spot Metering work well on photos such as these and then f/2.8 for lower light photos without flash...but to compltely get something in focus like the flower you will require f/8+ for a better depth of field (deeper/longer focus area)
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:02 PM   #5

Jim - Clint is right, you should start with the iA mode until you are comfortable with the camera and start to understand composition, lighting, etc. One thing that drove me crazy about the iA mode is the way the camera selects what to focus on (those green boxes that tells you what the camera is focused on, which you can't control). So I quickly moved on to "P" mode, where you can make a few changes but keep many settings to auto. I would recommend you set to "P", set the ISO to auto, change the AF Mode to either "1-area" or "spot" (this lets you focus on what the camera is pointed to). Once you get used to these settings, then you can start playing with other settings. Make sure the sun is behind you. If your camera won't focus, you are probably too close to the subject so move back or zoom out.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 2:33 AM   #6

thanks.. LTZ470 and saly for suggestions ..pl.continue to guide me all the way..yes , saly , you are right.. iA mode sometimes take little longer to choose the subject you want to focus on.though i have taken many pictures of my family members using it..now i am trying diffferent things..haven't touched the video part as just to concentrate on phto capturing..I will try AF mode settings which is not tried yet, will have to read in manuals..and learn..right!! As far as i know one thing is sure.. its me who is lacking the knowledge about the camera..and needs perfacion not the camera..!! hope to become better as the time and teaching goes on ..
picture form the first day..

http://picasaweb.google.com/10651514...57000296221778
Attached Images

Last edited by jim007; Oct 30, 2010 at 5:58 AM. Reason: adding link
Old Oct 29, 2010, 2:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Not bad at ll Jim...most of all have fun!...
Steadying the camera is the most important of all and of course getting an accurate AF...try the different metering and focusng out...for close ups Spot Focus and Spot Metering work well on photos such as these and then f/2.8 for lower light photos without flash...but to compltely get something in focus like the flower you will require f/8+ for a better depth of field (deeper/longer focus area)
thanks.. for the kind words..i will try spot memtering for macro pictures ..but if i am not mistaken , max. you get in this camera is f<=8 and to get shutter speed around 8 use of tripod may become necessary if its low light right..? any other alternative..?

Last edited by jim007; Oct 29, 2010 at 2:54 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 5:36 AM   #8

here are few pictures i have captured using P mode pl have a look and comment ..to guide me further..thanks..

http://picasaweb.google.com/10651514...60950234497138
http://picasaweb.google.com/10651514...61054256744386
http://picasaweb.google.com/10651514...61731708633682
http://picasaweb.google.com/10651514...61498253140370
Attached Images

Last edited by jim007; Oct 30, 2010 at 5:53 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:41 AM   #9

Is that fruit a cherimoya? If so, it's wasted on the birds - but you focused on them really well! Your p-mode photos look great.

When you said:
Quote:
.but if i am not mistaken , max. you get in this camera is f<=8 and to get shutter speed around 8 use of tripod may become necessary if its low light right..?
Remember that a lower f number is a wider aperture, and will allow more light. It's the higher f numbers that will require a tripod, not lower.

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 8:05 AM   #10

thanks mate,..yes.. its known as custard apple..in my garden .picture taken in the morning....while dove is watching from above..!
Attached Images

Last edited by jim007; Oct 30, 2010 at 8:14 AM.