Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:36 AM   #1

Default Panasonic fan, some pictures

I've been reading here for a while, and finally registered! I have had a DMC-ZS3 for about a year and absolutely love that camera. I had a dear friend (my cat of fourteen years) recently pass away and I enjoyed looking through his old photos so much I thought I'd upgrade my camera.

I ended up picking up a D-Lux 5. In hindsight, I guess I should have got the LX5, but whatever. (For me DSLR is out, just because I'd never carry one. The D-Lux 5 is about the size limit for me.) I almost got the ZS7 because I didn't want to lose the zoom, but I wanted the bigger sensor. So far I'm really enjoying the camera. The thing I like the most is being able to take more pictures indoors and have them turn out reasonably well.

Here are some of my pictures. The ones with a L name are from the Leica, and the P ones are some of my favorites from my ZS3. I hope you enjoy them! (And yes, I'm a beginner, but I'm learning!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
benleclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:33 AM   #2

Welcome...!!
Wow.. some of them are really beautiful..!! pl. keep posting..!
jim007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:41 PM   #3

D-Lux 5 takes absolutely amazing pictures nowhere near point and shoot quality
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 1:08 PM   #4
Super Moderator

looks like you are off to a great start with your DLux5

yes, essentially the dlux5 and lx5 are the same camera. one thing that people forget about, is with the Leica you get Lightroom included. which the cost of is about the same as the difference between the leica and panny. so, if you are planning to get lightroom with your panny, you may as well get the leica for a similar price. plus i like the minimalist styling of the leica.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:38 PM   #5

Thanks for everyone's input! Taking photographs is definitely a great hobby. Not sure if I'd use Lightroom. I tried the demo and I didn't really like the interface. I'm an Apple fan, so I might try the demo for Aperture next....

I'm really enjoying the camera. If it had an auto lens cap (just ordered one off of eBay, we'll see how it works) and GPS, it'd be perfect for me! (Don't know why I care about the GPS so much, but I think that would be pretty cool. I'm definitely interested to see what the replacement for the ZS7 is.)
Old Nov 6, 2010, 4:33 AM   #6

Great shots of your many pets. Do they all get along???
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 7:21 AM   #7

Thank you! I love my animals.

My dear cat, JD, unfortunately never met the dog, Jack. We've only had Jack since the 23rd of October and JD passed on the 17th. We went to the pound just to look, not ready to get another animal, and.... my wife immediately fell in love with him.

I know JD would have got along with him though, and you've inspired me to upload some other pictures.

JD would actually get irritated with Wally (my lineolated parakeet), but usually would just walk away. Here is a sweet video of them "fighting" (my wife took it on automatic with my ZS3, another reason I love this camera):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf6I1WxEfwU

And here are some pictures of my JD and Wally together.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7907689...7625198456203/

The dwarf hamster doesn't have too much interaction with the other animals.

Last edited by benleclair; Nov 6, 2010 at 7:33 AM.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 1:17 PM   #8

I love the video and the photos of them together!! They are soooo cute together. What a sweet cat, you must miss him very much.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:08 PM   #9

Thank you very much, I do miss him. Everyone thinks they have the best animals and I'm no exception! :-)

I have made improvements to my D-Lux 5 and now it is near perfect for me! I bought one of these (it just screws on!):

http://jjc.cc/products_info.asp?id=6...0&s_series=all

and one of these and added the geotagging service.

http://www.eye.fi/products/connectx2

I am very pleased so far with both!