Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:36 PM   #1

Default No CD drive in Laptop - downloading software probs

Hiya,

I bought my FZ38 today yayy and an getting frustrated already lol. My laptop doesnt had a CD drive so I cant install the operating manuals or Photfunstudio etc.

The manual is not a problem because I found that on PDF (only 200 odd pages haha) but I cant get the software off the panasonic website, I download it (takes forever) and when it comes to install, the install wizard pops up, starts to move then I get an error message saying update has been cancelled. I havent got the software even on there yet never mind try to update it, it just aborts at that message.

I dont really understand the download instructions to be honest, it asks me to create a download folder, done. Then it tells me input a production code? But A, I dont have a code,and B I cant see where I am meant to put it !

Anyone got any tips on how I can get this software onto my laptop. Either by Panasonic or another reputable place?

Also do the cameras themselves ever need updating?

And I think I an going to like this camera, its dark here, and I am playing with it and already I like it. It looks very confusing tho, to my ickle brain lol

All help to get me on my way greatly appreciated, I cant even see how to contact Panasonic, v frustrating
Crazy Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:44 AM   #2

Cant you install the files from a USB thumb drive or external USB hard drive? If the files on the CD are smaller than 10mb you can email them to yourself from another computer (that has a CD).

You can try to set up a virtual CD. Prepare the ISO file on another computer that has a CD and use a USB thumb drive to transfer the ISO file to your computer for use with the virtual CD program. Here's a free one for WINXP:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xpvirtualcd.html

Last edited by sdromel; Nov 6, 2010 at 2:49 AM.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 4:23 AM   #3

I never loaded the software that came with my FZ35, and never needed it (I don't think I'm missing anything.....)
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 8:44 AM   #4

Thank everyone, I thought about that Saly but I am wondering if I need to software to keep the camera itself up to date ? Also I dont have any photo software at all other that whats on my Windows 7 laptop.

The file I tried to download said 29mb so too big for my old USB stick device Could it be saved to the SD card that came with the camera if my son laptop has a card reader of course lol

I could then, I assume, install from there.

Trying to get hold of Panasonic by phone is a no go area, thats very bad. I want to get hold of a hard copy manual :-)
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:44 AM   #5

I haven't heard of any laptop/desktop that would come w/o a CD/DVD-rom drive. I'd suggest you investigate to see if you can add a drive to your machine. They are dirty cheap (if you buy the drive w/o any recording capability and even those are very cheap) and you can install it yourself. It will save you a lot of aggravation.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Jo View Post
Thank everyone, I thought about that Saly but I am wondering if I need to software to keep the camera itself up to date ? Also I dont have any photo software at all other that whats on my Windows 7 laptop.

The file I tried to download said 29mb so too big for my old USB stick device Could it be saved to the SD card that came with the camera if my son laptop has a card reader of course lol

I could then, I assume, install from there.

Trying to get hold of Panasonic by phone is a no go area, thats very bad. I want to get hold of a hard copy manual :-)
production of FZ38 should be at the end now, as it's successor is now in market. don't really think they will release any firmware updates for F38.

just get a card reader and picasa, nothing else is really needed.
flyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:10 PM   #7

i'm pretty sure you could save that file to an sd card and copy it to your notebook hard drive. but as has been said a couple of times, there's probably nothing there you need. move on.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:25 PM   #8

Thanks everyone, I got my son to do it through his laptop onto the SD card, so all the software is on this notebook now :-)

Now all I need is photography classes to learn how to use it lol

Thanks again :-)
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:31 PM   #9

Of course there are lappys w/o cd/dvd drives these are the new tiny ones...my suggestion is to buy these two things.
An external cd/dvd writable drive (very cheap these days)
Look on Craigslist in your area for an External portable hard drive and 500gb is a darn good start. (reasonably cheap as well)
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 1:20 PM   #10

Yes I think that is a very good idea to get an external writeable drive.

In order to have something very portable I went for this laptop thinking I could do without a CD/DVD because I used the last one so very little, or so it seemed anyway haha. I had the same problem with the printer I bought but it was a doddle installing the software from HP website so didnt really need one until now

I now have an external hard drive (learnt that lesson the hard way when I lost a load of info from an old PC). It is actually my second one as I dropped the last one I ended up having to take it the data recovery place again. They love me in that shop :-)