Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:14 PM   #11

I think Panasonic figures XP is old news.......
Old Nov 8, 2010, 6:31 PM   #12
Administrator

VLC Media Player.

It's free (Open Source) and Cross Platform (Linux, OS X, Windows). It plays the Sony .mts files (1080i/60) just fine. I haven't tried it with files produced by Panasonic cameras. But, I'd suggest you download it and give it a spin to see if it works with them.

http://www.videolan.org
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 6:39 PM   #13
Super Moderator

VLC should work just fine with the panny avchd
Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:33 PM   #14

I love the avchd format...i just put the memory card in my ps3 and BINGO... also with the recent upgrade of Picasa, it plays there as well....As a matter of fact it even plays on windows media 7 on my windows 7 pc
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_b View Post
... also with the recent upgrade of Picasa, it plays there as well....
That's what I read. I just upgraded to Picasa 3.8.0 build 115.53,0 (W XP) and when I go to Tools/options/file types, MTS is not listed. Thus, Picasa does not recognize the video files on my HD. What version of Picasa and Windows are you running? Perhaps it has to do with W7.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 4:11 AM   #16

Hmmm,

I must be missing something here,

When I download movies from my FZ35 to my laptop via the USB cable, it saves them as .MOV files which are played with Quicktime. If I view them straight from the card when inserted into my pooter it views them as .MTS files which require an external program, is that what we are talking about ?

Pat
Coongoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvoje xyz View Post
I have to put this with caps lock..

DONT INSTALL KLITE OR ANY OTHER CODEC PACK!! DO NOT DO THAT!!

now the explanation
these days , there are lot of programs that can handle almost all type of formats , with codec that they have already built-in.
One of best - Splayer http://www.splayer.org/index.en.html

there is also VLC media player
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

That programs will even cut down on your processor and memory usage , if you have any newer graphic card(if somebody wants explanation , ask).

Editing..thats bit more complicated.Personally , I use imtoo mpeg encoder . But , I use it rearly to be honest.It isnt very easy to edit acvhd files , I admit that.
Sorry friend but thats wrong I have been in post video editing for years and a certified Audio engineer on both mac and pc's and while these players have the embedded codec they end up NOT processing the videos correctly and with this relatively new codec and external source is better than the embedded and if you can't play a simple file such as what is stated above then one might be in the 486 class of pc because what slows the pc is the player without proper codecs. Klite OR CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack will help these players speed up with the properly installed codecs and not rely on the player itself to render and edit video. Any video is not easy to edit for the beginner no matter the software
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coongoola View Post
Hmmm,

I must be missing something here,

When I download movies from my FZ35 to my laptop via the USB cable, it saves them as .MOV files which are played with Quicktime. If I view them straight from the card when inserted into my pooter it views them as .MTS files which require an external program, is that what we are talking about ?

Pat
I dind't try to download the movie files from the GH1 to my PC via the USB cable. I always use a card reader. It's interesting that the FZ35 is actually converting the .MTS file to .MOV as it downloads the images. Are you sure you are always recording in AVCHD? I will try to download one short video straight from the camera to see what happens.

In any case, yes, we are talking about how to play that stupid .MTS file on the computer.

Tullio
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
VLC Media Player.

It's free (Open Source) and Cross Platform (Linux, OS X, Windows). It plays the Sony .mts files (1080i/60) just fine. I haven't tried it with files produced by Panasonic cameras. But, I'd suggest you download it and give it a spin to see if it works with them.

http://www.videolan.org
Thanks, Jim. I downloaded the program and it attempted to play the videos but did not do a good job at it. Perhaps my desktop is the limitation now. I've already experienced this problem before.

Tullio
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:20 AM   #20
Super Moderator

Tullio, i really do think your desktop is a major limitation here. From this most previous post, and our earlier talks about the video.