Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvoje xyz View Post

there is also VLC media player
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Thank you my friend! This software does play the .mts files (windows xp)
One more question: is that AVCHD format better than the other "motion jpeg", and why>
a.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 4:34 PM   #22

Allegedly AVCHD gives better quality results in a smaller file size, your mileage may vary.
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:23 PM   #23

Yes, Dustin. I acknowledged that! It's time for a computer upgrade!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:48 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post

In any case, yes, we are talking about how to play that stupid .MTS file on the computer.
As I said before- try Splayer. If you have more than 512mb RAM , processor faster than 1 Ghz and graphic card made in last...7 years , I think it will be playable.

Quote:
Sorry friend but thats wrong I have been in post video editing for years and a certified Audio engineer on both mac and pc's and while these players have the embedded codec they end up NOT processing the videos correctly and with this relatively new codec and external source is better than the embedded and if you can't play a simple file such as what is stated above then one might be in the 486 class of pc because what slows the pc is the player without proper codecs. Klite OR CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack will help these players speed up with the properly installed codecs and not rely on the player itself to render and edit video. Any video is not easy to edit for the beginner no matter the software
Ok , I disagree on that. Klite , cccr and that sprte of codec packs install bunch of unwanted codecs , most of them averager user wont use once in his life.

Quote:
Thank you my friend! This software does play the .mts files (windows xp)
One more question: is that AVCHD format better than the other "motion jpeg", and why>
a.
like with cars , what do you mean by "better" ? Id say Ford focus gives more for xy euros than VW golf , but in generally , Golf is better car (its most sold car in europe in 2009).
AVCHD is quite new format , I use it always. It gives better quality ,uses less space than motion jpeg, and is HD-resolution capable. For me , winning point.
hrvoje xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 1:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvoje xyz View Post
As I said before- try Splayer. If you have more than 512mb RAM , processor faster than 1 Ghz and graphic card made in last...7 years , I think it will be playable.
I'll try that but...isn't there something wrong with this picture? If you read this thread from the beginning, you'll find all sorts of different suggestions and what's bad to me, a lot of disagreement along with them. And this is one single, short thread. If you do a Google search, there's pages and pages covering the subject. That alone tells me that AVCHD may be an efficient format but I fully blame Panasonic and Sony for releasing something without providing proper support for it. As I mentioned, they should, if nothing else, include something on the CD-rom that comes with their cameras that would allow the user to play the format on ANY PC running WXP or higher, right away w/o having to go through all this trouble.

Tullio
Old Nov 10, 2010, 1:54 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
...That alone tells me that AVCHD may be an efficient format but I fully blame Panasonic and Sony for releasing something without providing proper support for it.

As I mentioned, they should, if nothing else, include something on the CD-rom that comes with their cameras that would allow the user to play the format on ANY PC running WXP or higher, right away w/o having to go through all this trouble.
I don't know about Panasonic. But, Sony usually includes Sony PMB (Picture Motion Browser) with AVCHD capable cameras that you can use to Play and Trim your videos with.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 1:57 PM   #27

OK, so I'll remove Sony from the blame. Panasonic does not offer anything like that. Their software won't play their own format. It's ridiculous, really.

Tullio
Old Nov 10, 2010, 2:02 PM   #28
Administrator

As already mentioned, I'd just use VLC to play them. It's free and cross platform (Windows, OS X , Linux, and others). If you have performance issues (stuttering, etc.), then you probably need a newer PC and/or graphics card (although you can find some codecs that offer better performance with borderline machines, as already mentioned by others).
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I don't know about Panasonic. But, Sony usually includes Sony PMB (Picture Motion Browser) with AVCHD capable cameras that you can use to Play and Trim your videos with.
I've got an FZ35 and Panasonic included PHOTOfunSTUDIO HD Edition software which allows you to play and edit AVCHD.

Laurie
laurel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:00 AM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks, Jim. I downloaded the program and it attempted to play the videos but did not do a good job at it. Perhaps my desktop is the limitation now. I've already experienced this problem before.
I just finished reading a thread on another forum discussing a program called Process Lasso, where two users (the one recommending it and the one that just tried it) claimed it got rid of choppy video playback (just using the free version with the default settings).

http://www.bitsum.com/prolasso.php

I have zero experience with it, so use it at your own risk. But, this thread came to mind when reading through the discussion. Apparently it tries to better manage what apps get what amount of CPU time, etc. So, you may want to give it a spin and see if it helps (or not).