Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:59 AM   #1

Default AVCHD...really?!?

I'm not big on videos, so perhaps that's my disclaimer right upfront...pure ignorance!

With that said, I just started playing with my GH1 video, which records in AVCHD format. Then, like million other people, I realized that hey...this file can not be opened by ANY of the players or photo editor I have on my computer, and that includes Quicktime, WMP, Real player, Winamp, Picasa, and the list goes on and on. So, let's do some quick research on the subject, I thought...QUICK? what a joke...there's more stuff out there covering the subject than on Obama's Health Care program. Video converters...I downloaded at least two - from sites that claimed that they were FREE - only to find out after the installation that I actually had to pay to activate the product...nothing aggravates me more than those gimmicks these people play. Plug-ins...hum maybe two or three but again, they don't work. Updated Picasa because I read somewhere that it could play MTS files...NOT. Then I came across threads and more threads discussing ways to burn a DVD so it can be played on a bluray player (Sony or Panasonic). So, no BR player from these guys? No luck! I can keep going on and on.

The thing is, why should we deal with all this crap from Panasonic (and Sony)? If they create a new (and more efficient) video format, why not provide all the necessary support (players - on the computer, plug-ins, converters, etc.) rather than simply throw it out and let us deal with it? I'm real close from not using this format at all just to save me from the aggravation.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:00 PM   #2

The same happens to me... I only recently had my first video with fz38, and couldn't open it. I will search the camera box, if accidentaly I find any software, but in the mean time, any help is needed!
alexander
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:03 PM   #3

Wouldn't the iMovie in Mac automatically handle this format? Just curious.
Manikanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:31 PM   #4

You first need to download codecs search for Klite, it's free then download either the kmplayer or VLC there are soooo many players
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:04 PM   #5

After all that I have read, isn't it more conveniente to use the other format, I think 'motion jpeg'?
a.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:31 PM   #6

I have to put this with caps lock..

DONT INSTALL KLITE OR ANY OTHER CODEC PACK!! DO NOT DO THAT!!

now the explanation
these days , there are lot of programs that can handle almost all type of formats , with codec that they have already built-in.
One of best - Splayer http://www.splayer.org/index.en.html

there is also VLC media player
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

That programs will even cut down on your processor and memory usage , if you have any newer graphic card(if somebody wants explanation , ask).

Editing..thats bit more complicated.Personally , I use imtoo mpeg encoder . But , I use it rearly to be honest.It isnt very easy to edit acvhd files , I admit that.
hrvoje xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:15 PM   #7

I'm new, and don't understand a lot of this, but using Windows 7, I have no problem watching the movies after downloading from my ZS7 with whatever program came with the OS.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manikanda View Post
Wouldn't the iMovie in Mac automatically handle this format? Just curious.
May be so but I don't have a mac. I tried Quicktime but that does not work.

Tullio
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibaris View Post
After all that I have read, isn't it more conveniente to use the other format, I think 'motion jpeg'?
a.
BINGO!!!!! That's exactly what I did. AVCHD is just so not worth the aggravation!

Tullio
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagaboo View Post
You first need to download codecs search for Klite, it's free then download either the kmplayer or VLC there are soooo many players
You just made my point. Download this, install that, run the other,...and in the process, I end up with lots of spyware, malware, blahblahblahware,...

Panasonic should standardize on ONE solution for XP and Vista/W7 and add that to their software package that comes with those cameras recording in AVCHD format so we don't have to spend hours researching this thing and downloading and installing junk software (and viruses) on our PCs, which don't work.

Tullio