Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:49 AM   #1

Default Questions about the ZS7

Hi Folks,....I love my FZ35 and have really enjoyed my FZ100. I use it on my quail hunting trips and enjoy the versatility. I get great videos and stills of my dogs working. However, I'm realizing it's really a load and not as quick into action as I really like. Against my better judgement, I'm considering the ZS7 since it will fit in my hunting shirt pocket and will always be handy. It has good zoom and the Panasonic system I've learned to love. I HATE that it doesn't have an EVF, and hoping I'll find the screen pretty good outdoors.

I do have a couple of questions I hope owners will help me with:

Does the ZS7 have the high speed burst modes in the SCN setting. I need this.

Does the ZS7 have the C settings on the mode dial like the FZs have?

Can the movie mode be activated with the shutter button if the movie function is set on the mode dial? I don't have any luck with the thumb button when wearing gloves.

Have any of you used this camera extensively outdoors with success?

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions about this or any other "pocket' camera. I need at least 6X zoom, HD video, and high speed burst.

Thanks,....Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
I do have a couple of questions I hope owners will help me with:

Does the ZS7 have the high speed burst modes in the SCN setting. I need this. Yes it does

Does the ZS7 have the C settings on the mode dial like the FZs have? Yes it does

Can the movie mode be activated with the shutter button if the movie function is set on the mode dial? I don't have any luck with the thumb button when wearing gloves. No you can't you must use the dedicated Record Button as it will record video in any setting iA, A, S, M,...
But you could get one of the very small plastic bumper buttons that they use to keep cabinet doors from slamming shut wood on wood (Lowes or Home Depot, as the plastic bumper has self adhesive and would glue onto the Record Button and then it would protrude out far enough for you to operate it with gloves on....

Have any of you used this camera extensively outdoors with success?
It is excellent for macros and even on the long end it is very sharp and has a decent focus speed...ISO 400 is the Max for decent pictures...

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions about this or any other "pocket' camera. I need at least 6X zoom, HD video, and high speed burst.

Thanks,....Jack
Answers in red Jack...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:39 PM   #3

Thanks for those helpful answers!! They give me hope that the ZS7 might work for me.

I like your idea to improve the movie button,....I am surprised the movies can't be taken with the shutter button, though. What you describe about the movie button picking up A, S, and P settings is the same as the FZ35 and FZ100, but on those, movies can be taken with the movie setting on the mode dial. That's the way I learned to use the FZ35 in the field.

Yesterday, I had climbed a huge hill following my bird dog when I realized my FZ100 was in the car! That never happened when I had a pocket camera. It was always there.

Thanks again!

Jack
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:45 PM   #4

Jack I looked through the ZS5, 6, 7 Manual and the ZS5 and ZS6 both do not have the dedicated record button, you must use the Shutter Button...so thats another option as they are the same except without GPS...
On the Top Control Dial there is a dedicated Movie selection on the ZS5 and ZS6...

I don't know if you caught it, but Samy's Camera has the ZS7 for $229 free shipping...it says $259, but when you add to cart it automatically throws in a $30 rebate bringing it to $229...and they have free ship...

Last edited by LTZ470; Nov 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Jack I looked through the ZS5, 6, 7 Manual and the ZS5 and ZS6 both do not have the dedicated record button, you must use the Shutter Button...so thats another option as they are the same except without GPS...
On the Top Control Dial there is a dedicated Movie selection on the ZS5 and ZS6...

I don't know if you caught it, but Samy's Camera has the ZS7 for $229 free shipping...it says $259, but when you add to cart it automatically throws in a $30 rebate bringing it to $229...and they have free ship...
LTZ,....your tip on Samy's caught me at the right moment. I usually investigate cameras until I could build one,....but I'm making an exception on this one. I watched the Cameralabs video review and saw your pictures on Steves.

It'll be nice to have a camera I can put in my pocket at 430am and know it's there all day long in the field. If there are shots I miss because of no LCD, I'll rationalize that,......I'm optimistic.

Thanks for all your help. I love Panasonic products and you are a great spokesman for them.

Jack