Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:35 AM   #11

You might like to read this also

http://www.safari-guide.co.uk/photog...oom-camera.php

http://www.safari-guide.co.uk/panaso...rsion-lens.php

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:37 AM   #12

How many different makes of conversion lenses are usable, will fix onto, the FZ38?
I know of panasonic and olymus only.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
How many different makes of conversion lenses are usable, will fix onto, the FZ38?
I know of panasonic and olymus only.

From what I posted earlier

http://ianperegian.com/My_FZ35_38_We...onverters.html

Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:48 AM   #14

Also when you add these to the camera it usually makes getting "better" shots a little more difficult.

If you are having trouble getting good clear shots from the FZ38 as it is - then adding teleconvertors and closeup lenses won't make it easier.

Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:57 AM   #15

Eysha - I read your comments on my recent post, so you saw some examples of what my LC-55 can do. I will try not to repeat what Clint said, but LC-55 is a conversion lens which give me approximately additional 3x magnification to the 18x that comes built in to the FZ38 (FZ35 in US). It requires an adapter (extension tube) to attach to the camera. Together, they cost approximately $85 US. When conditions are right, they work excellent (works best under bright light). Here's a quick example of with and without the kit:

With LC-55:

The image quality is good enough to crop out just the subject and enlarge like this:

Now without the conversions lens:

This is a real quick comparison I did the first day I got my LC-55 without much effort, just hand holding the camera. You can do much better than these, but this gives you a taste. If you go back and look through this forum, look for Clint and LTZ's posts. They are the masters of closeup photos. I know that a DSLR will do much better, but this FZ38 is so much smaller and lighter (and cheaper!), even with the conversion lens kit, and I'm really happy with the results.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:12 AM   #16

85 dollers for both????? I just checked thecost for both here and both will cost me $213.33 here. what a difference.
Your photos are great and i would be happy with those.
ps. my hotmail notification of replies isn't working for some reason so my response will be slow until i find them all again - sorry. E.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:20 AM   #17

Wow eysha, that's really unfair about the price difference! The full price for both here is about $100, but we can find discounts online. Can you order through a US seller online?
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:24 AM   #18

not really. would need to be able to send cash for goods and really trust whoever. also need it to be marked as a gift to save on the VAT that we have to pay here with would add a lot more $.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:28 AM   #19

the LC55 is for macro's right? so what lens is for getting more zoom? I read that a lens can get you from 18 optical zoom to about 30 optical zoom. which lenses are they? a macro and a zoom plus adapter would be great. what do i need to look for?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:36 AM   #20

A conversion lens for macro is a cheap and simple solution for getting macro. On you other question about what a dslr will do.

The dslr will give you higher image quality and better action camera. But if you end up getting kit lenses you will want to get a true macro lens, to give you true 1:1 macro ability. Or if you get the 2 kit lens setup, you will need a conversion lens to be mounted on the long zoom to give you close to 1:1 macro ability. This can be an expensive option. A true macro lens is min 400 dollars.

Or if you want super macro ability you add an extensions tube or conversion lens to the true macro lens to give it 2:1 macro ability.

Here are some with a true macro on my dslr, and one with the kit lens setup for macro for my dslr. I use a canon 500D conversion lens. The conversion lens and kit zoom gives you 18 inches or working distance.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cl...e-up-lens.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cl...00d-macro.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 20, 2010 at 10:44 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote