Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:43 AM   #21

Eysha the DSLR's will only do better in lower lighting conditions and most folks cannot tell the difference between the shots especially macros...the FZ38 can zoom to 486mm equivalent to 35mm DSLR Full Frame Camera...

We have a Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L Lens and they are about $1500 new just the lens alone so adding a DSLR Camera like a T2i Canon would be another$700, but it would give you equivalent 160-640mm equivalent to 35mm DSLR Full Frame Camera for $2200 USD...but then you couldn't even take a photo with it inside your home as the 160mm would be too much and you would need a flash off of a lighthouse...and you would require a Camel or two to carry it...lol...
This was just for an example only...so everyone please don't beat me up on this...lol...ok...ok...exaggerated a little...

The FZ35 with the TCON17 is still very light and not too large...it is a 1.7X Teleconverter that means the FZ35 is 486mm X 1.7 = 826mm at full resolution photos...the FZ38 is designed for this and has a Teleconverter setting in the Menu...

It also has Conversion Setting in the Menu if you use the LC55 Conversion Lens...

They are very easy to use and you can get them relatively cheap...

As a suggestion only:
You would enjoy a nice Canon S95 for a good indoor/outdoor camera...it would compliment the FZ38 nicely...it has some great modes such as Color Accent, Vivid, etc and is just a great all around pocket camera...excellent stabilisation and truly fits in a pocket it does HD video as well...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:44 AM   #22

Thanks Shoturtle. lovely macro shots there.
what about the macro lenses and the zoom lenses for the FZ38? wondering what to buy for that camera exactly.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:46 AM   #23

megazoom with a macro conversion lens do work well. It is a cheap and good setup. But you do have less working distance. So you just need to be a bit more careful not block your light with the camera or your body. It is the same with a dslr and a macro lens.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:50 AM   #24

apparently it might be cheap there and in the USA but it isn't cheap here. I was really surprised at the price differences, check them out.
i need pointing in the direction of exactly what to buy/look for as in makes, models etc.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:57 AM   #25

Since price is a factor, how much would a canon 500D dslr with the 2 kit lens 18-55 and 55-250 or the pentax k-x with the 18-55 and 55-300 cost in the UK. I only know german prices.

The 500D dslr with the 2 lenses is about 810 euro, and the 500D conversion lens is about 80 euro. So you are looking at a 890 euro system. Not sure if that is an investment you want to make. What you get is a higher learning curve, larger system. Faster AF system, Higher Image Quality, More Growth Potential, Way Better Low Light Shooting without a flash.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
megazoom with a macro conversion lens do work well. It is a cheap and good setup. But you do have less working distance. So you just need to be a bit more careful not block your light with the camera or your body. It is the same with a dslr and a macro lens.
Shoturtle - "megazoom with macro conversion", are you referring to the LC-55 with extension tube, or something else?

Eysha - if you are staying with the FZ38, then you need these conversion lenses like the LC-55 to put in front of your built in lens. If you get another camera with a replaceable lens, you have the option of putting on a macro lens.

I think I got that right..... I'm new at this too.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:01 AM   #27

Yes, a megazoom with a screw on conversion lens is what I am referring to with the adapter for the camera is one is needed.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Eysha the DSLR's will only do better in lower lighting conditions and most folks cannot tell the difference between the shots especially macros...the FZ38 can zoom to 486mm equivalent to 35mm DSLR Full Frame Camera...

We have a Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L Lens and they are about $1500 new just the lens alone so adding a DSLR Camera like a T2i Canon would be another$700, but it would give you equivalent 160-640mm equivalent to 35mm DSLR Full Frame Camera for $2200 USD...but then you couldn't even take a photo with it inside your home as the 160mm would be too much and you would need a flash off of a lighthouse...and you would require a Camel or two to carry it...lol...
This was just for an example only...so everyone please don't beat me up on this...lol...ok...ok...exaggerated a little...

The FZ35 with the TCON17 is still very light and not too large...it is a 1.7X Teleconverter that means the FZ35 is 486mm X 1.7 = 826mm at full resolution photos...the FZ38 is designed for this and has a Teleconverter setting in the Menu...

It also has Conversion Setting in the Menu if you use the LC55 Conversion Lens...

They are very easy to use and you can get them relatively cheap...

As a suggestion only:
You would enjoy a nice Canon S95 for a good indoor/outdoor camera...it would compliment the FZ38 nicely...it has some great modes such as Color Accent, Vivid, etc and is just a great all around pocket camera...excellent stabilisation and truly fits in a pocket it does HD video as well...

LTZ - is the TCON-17 better than the Panasonic DMW-LT55?
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:14 AM   #29

maybe it is me confussing the issue. Let me try to clear that up as i am sure it is my fault.
Sticking with the FZ38 only,(forget DSLR's for now) i know i need an adapter lens. I would also like a macro lens and then to add to that a lens that extends the zoom from the 18 optical it already has to a 30+ which i have read about - making 3 new items.
My question now is whick makes of lens'/adapter to buy for the best? i have read that i can buy a panasonic or an olympic lens which will fit onto the FZ38 ok. is there any other makes of lens'/adapter that will fit the FZ38? This way i can check prices and maybe get the best deal if i have more choice of makes.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:18 AM   #30

Saly, why is it better?