Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:28 PM   #61

Clint, is the macro lens the Raynor one? Been looking on Amazon uk to find the right ones to make sure i don't mess up. Thanks in advance again and please don't shoot me.
E.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:36 PM   #62

Raynox does make a macro lens. Some people like it. I've never used it.
Personally I'd stick with the LC55 macro lens.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:22 PM   #63

I would also recommend you get the LC-55. When you get the two pieces (extension adapter and the lens), make sure to read the "Using the Conversion Lens" section of your advanced manual (page 190) because you need to change a setting on the camera when you attach the conversion lens. Also, note that the adapter/lens screws into the outer barrel of the lens (where the lens cover attaches to), not the actual lens that extends out.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 3:38 AM   #64

I've used the raynox and it is okay for the price, as you really get what you pay for. When I had them back in the days as poor collage student. They did the ok job. But my canon 500D is a better lens optically then the raynox. It retains more detail. But that is on a SLR camera. So if you are looking to save a bit, the raynox is a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Clint, is the macro lens the Raynor one? Been looking on Amazon uk to find the right ones to make sure i don't mess up. Thanks in advance again and please don't shoot me.
E.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:35 AM   #65

To be honest Eysha the DCR250 is too much of a Macro lens and will give you too much magnification rendering a very small in focus area...probably not what you are wanting at least not me...the DCR150 Raynox should be better and closer to the LC55...even with the LC55 you can take shots at up to 2-3ft easily so you don't have to get so close to the subject...it makes it much easier as it has a larger in focus area or depth of field so to speak...
I know this may seem confusing as it took me a while to understand/comprehend what the Macro lens were about and how they actually worked...but the LC55 is your best bet for ease of use or just plain user friendly this is what Clint and Saly are trying to say I think...it's definitely way easier to use than the DCR250 for me...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 6:08 AM   #66

I so appreciate all the help and advice. I have been looking on Amazon UK, just for quickness and to get an idea of prices, and have found the adapter and converta but not the macro lens. The LC55 numbers don't work so is there other letters missing? Sorry but need to know to buy the right thing. I will only be buying once so prefer to buy the best most suitable lenses even if i have to wait a bit longer. No sense in buying the Raynox if it doesn't give good results. Also which is the best one - the Olympus TCON-17 or the Panasonic DMW-LT55? These will be my Christmas presents so want them to last a long time and give good results. Won't be buying from Amazon but need to know to ask for proper lens when i get to real camera shops. The prices are very high here compared to USA so need to shop around and buy from reputable and safe sellers/ good returns policy. This is a great group and again my thanks from a newbie who often feels silly for asking so many questions. E.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 6:56 AM   #67

Eysha this is it..it is a Panasonic DMW-LC55...it is listed by fotosense ltd in the UK...I would give them a ring and you can confirm it is in fact the Panasonic DMW-LC55 then also check their price as they are most likely cheaper in store than at Amazon.UK...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-In...0425642&sr=8-1

Last edited by LTZ470; Nov 22, 2010 at 7:00 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:10 AM   #68

Thanks, that does help. Just converted the to $ and find the long lens will cost me $171.55, the macro will cost me $81.46 and the adapter runs at $83.91. I make that $285.00 or 178.17p - wow.
wonder what it would cost me to buy from USA and pay import tax - might be cheaper, anyone any ideas?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:44 AM   #69

Eysha there is no way that Adapter can be $83.91...the link I posted for you from Amazon.UK is much cheaper? Only 20.41 quid...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:56 AM   #70

Opps,it converts to around $31 not $81, my mistake.
Just been looking on the net at this camera and just found out that the Q.Menu button is also a joy stick to change apature etc. more info on thi would be good.
Spending the day trying to learn this camera as i have a free uninterupted day all to mysef which doesn't happen very often. know of any good sites to visit?