Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (
-   Panasonic / Leica (
-   -   Very bright, very clear, very sunny day! Disaster... (

kibaris Nov 21, 2010 1:09 PM

Very bright, very clear, very sunny day! Disaster...
5 Attachment(s)
How to deal such a lovely day?

kibaris Nov 21, 2010 1:11 PM

1 Attachment(s) more...

saly Nov 21, 2010 2:30 PM

I think your third shot is really nice! It's really tough to get the exposure just right on days like this, at least I haven't mastered it.

BackyardPermaculture Nov 21, 2010 6:30 PM

There are no easy answers - just avoid the middle of the day and photograph early and/or late.

kibaris Nov 22, 2010 6:54 AM

If I measure for the grass I loose the sky, if I measure the shadows I loose the grass e.t.c. ... Is there any "backlit" mode to cope with this situation?alexanderp.s. I forgot to mention that the site is the ex-royal Greek family fields, unfortunately in a not-a-very-good-condition.

SirGlad Nov 22, 2010 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can edit the photos for zones in Photoshop. Load the image and duplicate the layer. With Bright/Contrast (or Curves) selected, adjust the first layer for the lights, and the other one for the shadows. Next, with the eraser and a brush with an opacity of 30-35 % keep on erasing the shadows in the first layer so that it shows the one from below. When you are satisfied with the result, flatten image and save it. With practice it will not take you more than 5 minutes to make it.
PS: Sorry for my bad english!

kibaris Nov 23, 2010 2:15 AM

Your english is very good, and so is your advice! Thank you very much! I didnt know this technic!Photoshop is good and I do work a lot to improove my photos, but I want to have the best out of the camera first, and then, IF there is any need to work with photoshop.Just imagine a trip to an interesting place or event, having 1000 photos to pass through photoshop...!a.

MartinSykes Nov 23, 2010 3:39 AM

1/ Try some fill-flash if you're not too far from the subject (just force the flash on so it brightens the shadowed bits)
2/ Depending on the camera see if it can help (the intelligent exposure setting on the FZ38 will alutomatically brighten the dark bits for you and does an OK job)
3/ Try my AutoHDR which pretty much does what SirGlad suggests but automatically. You can drag/drop up to 1000 in at once and it will process them all in one go.

LTZ470 Nov 23, 2010 9:44 AM

Use the Auto Bracketing on the FZ35/38...

kibaris Nov 24, 2010 1:21 AM

Bracketing seems good, but still, isn't there any adjustment to cope with the high contrast situation? All these published fotos of outdoor seens, with bright sunlight, are they all after sever post prossesing?a.