Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:05 PM   #11

Thanks for all the postsso apreciate them. I will print out the suggestions and try them. I cannot take a tripod, no room and bulky on the train when travelling.
It is forcast for a good 2 inches of snow, mybe more, so i have that to think about too now.
Not sure about inside lighting but will keep changing the setting, if i remember, lol.
Will use the flash too as i have charged all 3 batteries and i have my other cards too.
I am excited but scared too, lol. Would love to get some good, if not great, shots so all i can do is try my best. What i really have to do is THINK before i take a shot and decide what to set the camera too - is that right? lol.
Again many thanks for all your posts and will look in again later tonight just in case there are more posts.
whatever happens i'll be back, lol, tomorrow and show.
E.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Thanks for all the postsso apreciate them. I will print out the suggestions and try them. I cannot take a tripod, no room and bulky on the train when travelling.
It is forcast for a good 2 inches of snow, mybe more, so i have that to think about too now.
Not sure about inside lighting but will keep changing the setting, if i remember, lol.
Will use the flash too as i have charged all 3 batteries and i have my other cards too.
I am excited but scared too, lol. Would love to get some good, if not great, shots so all i can do is try my best. What i really have to do is THINK before i take a shot and decide what to set the camera too - is that right? lol.
Again many thanks for all your posts and will look in again later tonight just in case there are more posts.
whatever happens i'll be back, lol, tomorrow and show.
E.
a bit more...if the shots are just too dark, or you have to stand very close for your flash to be effective, switch your story from big trains to details. that'll work fine. sharp pics of steel wheels or whistles or whatever will be much better than dark pics of "something there".
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:31 PM   #13

I agree Frank, thanks and i will remember that.
How far/near to an object do i have to be for the flash to be effective? Never used my flash yet. E
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:53 PM   #14

what is Q AF for? and should i have it on or off?
what is the 6th icon for in Q menu and do i need that and on what setting if so.
what if i want to zoom in, what will the F be best set at?
E.
Have set camera to flyhigh's settings. Many thanks everyone, this is a great group.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
I agree Frank, thanks and i will remember that.
How far/near to an object do i have to be for the flash to be effective? Never used my flash yet. E
I don't know anything specific about your camera. but most flashes are good enough to 10 feet. perhaps someone else can chime in with more clear help. sorry.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:01 PM   #16

Thanks Frank, should have said it's a FZ 38.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:28 PM   #17

OK, off to bed for a very early start tomorrow. Hope to post some photos Friday. Keep your fingers crossed,lol.
Many thanks to all again
E.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:09 AM   #18

Well snow stopped play. I didn't get to York train museum. we had a lot of snow through the night, about 4 inches, and couldn't get cars out of garages and busses didn't run so missed the train to York by a few minutes. However, wanting to try out flyhigh's settings i took a few photos anyway in town where the snow wasn't so bad.
I think the indoor one is the best and i think i will probably be told that the ISO should have been bumped up to 800.
Anyway let me know and i will learn.
Many thanks again
E.
photos untouched, just reduced in size to upload limit.
Attached Images

Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:12 AM   #19

last three. only last one was indoors, which i think look OK. anyway let me know how i can improve. E.
Attached Images

Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:37 AM   #20

eysha,
fz35 allows you to change flash strength. you can press the upper button of the circular key pad 3 times (will show "Flash" written on screen) to access this setting. its normally set at 0, but if you think flash is not strong enough and its too dark, change the value up to +2 or change it to -2 if you need little flash support.

the last indoor photo you posted is good, if museum has similar lighting (i think museum will be lil more dark), you are good to go.

but i don't see any exif data on your photos here, can you upload some straight from cam images to imageshak and post the link here too ?

Last edited by flyhigh; Nov 25, 2010 at 12:43 PM.
flyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote