Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:14 AM   #21

Eysha - I thought you might like to look at this

http://www.digital-photography-schoo...-for-beginners

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 1:38 PM   #22

Hi Flyhigh, didn't know about the flash. Won't be going to museum now at all. we have now had 8 inches of snow here and lots of schools cosed and no busses etc. worst snow fall in 17 years TV says.
Don't know about imageshak or how to use. all settings were as you said. set camera following your instructions. happy with last photo which was the only indoor one.E.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 3:33 PM   #23

glad that you are happy with the indoor photo. but, the cam produce images sharper than that, make sure you press the shutter button halfway and let the cam get a focus lock on target, then press the button all the way in.

also , while shooting the outdoor shots like landscapes, use a high f number like 5.6 or more for good all around sharpness in the pic. low F number is basically better for object specific shooting, cause it isolates the subject by sharping it and blurring everything else.

you should really read the link Mr Clint provided.

hope you are enjoying the snow instead, here we are getting like shorter and shorter winters every year with unpredictable natures..... they say global warming is causing it. well, its almost december and we still need the fan sometimes - dunno what will happen in future.....

Last edited by flyhigh; Nov 25, 2010 at 3:42 PM.
flyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 3:55 PM   #24

I'm onlyhappy with it because i thought it was the best one. I do press halfway down first, i remembered that one.
what link?
if it is still warm where you are great, wish i was there as i hate the snow - where are you?
Any more advice is very welcome as i write them all down and keep all instructions.
Thanks in advance.
E.
Did you get the info or will i copy it for you for each photo?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 3:57 PM   #25

Thanks Clint, fond the link and will read with interest. E.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 7:30 AM   #26

any more comments on how to improve these, and future, photos?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:27 PM   #27

Here's another one you may be interested in

http://www.photoxels.com/digital-photography-tutorials/

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 1:05 PM   #28

eysha, what were your camera settings on these?
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 3:04 PM   #29

Thanks Clint, always happy to read and learn.
Saly i used flyhigh's settings as below.

# set the camera on aperture priority mode, i.e. set the dial knob at the top of camera to "A".
# click "menu" button and set intelligent ISO => "ON" in page 1. now, go to page 2 and set ISO limit set to 400 (you can set this to 800 later if pictures come out too dark at 400).
# press menu button again to exit.
# now, press the Q.Menu joystick button and hold it till some icons appear on screen. push joystick to left/right to go to 2nd icon and select metering mode = center weighted.
press go next icon (3rd) by pushing joystick to right and select spot (focus) by up/down.
4th icon should set to AWB, i.e. auto white balance.
# press joystick at this position to exit this menu.
# now, at the bottom of your screen you can see the F[number] in yellow colour, if its not yellow, then push joystick to left/right till its yellow. pull JS (joystick) all the way down till its F2.8. (you need to make sure currently cam is set to no zoom, i.e. 1x). this F[number] goes higher if you zoom more, your job will be to keep it below F3.0.
# the image stabilizer should be set to auto.
and ta-da ! you are ready to shoot. practice some shooting in decently lit indoors with these settings and share us the outcomes. use flash if need.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 4:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Thanks Clint, always happy to read and learn.
Saly i used flyhigh's settings as below.

# set the camera on aperture priority mode, i.e. set the dial knob at the top of camera to "A".
# click "menu" button and set intelligent ISO => "ON" in page 1. now, go to page 2 and set ISO limit set to 400 (you can set this to 800 later if pictures come out too dark at 400).
# press menu button again to exit.
# now, press the Q.Menu joystick button and hold it till some icons appear on screen. push joystick to left/right to go to 2nd icon and select metering mode = center weighted.
press go next icon (3rd) by pushing joystick to right and select spot (focus) by up/down.
4th icon should set to AWB, i.e. auto white balance.
# press joystick at this position to exit this menu.
# now, at the bottom of your screen you can see the F[number] in yellow colour, if its not yellow, then push joystick to left/right till its yellow. pull JS (joystick) all the way down till its F2.8. (you need to make sure currently cam is set to no zoom, i.e. 1x). this F[number] goes higher if you zoom more, your job will be to keep it below F3.0.
# the image stabilizer should be set to auto.
and ta-da ! you are ready to shoot. practice some shooting in decently lit indoors with these settings and share us the outcomes. use flash if need.

Hmmmm. I rarely shoot in A mode, so I'm no expert here but these settings may work fine for indoors (like you indoor trains), but not necessarily for outdoors. There's no single setting that works in every situation unless you are in iA mode, which is not the best but it works decently in almost every situation. If you want to use A, P or S mode, you have to know your camera well enough to be able to make the necessary adjustment for every shot.

Last edited by saly; Nov 26, 2010 at 5:22 PM.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote