Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:58 PM   #1

Default Is the FZ100 worth $100 more than FZ40

I have narrowed my choice of superzoom down to FZ100 or FZ40. The difference in price is between $80 and $100. Is the value of the differences between the 2 cameras worth that much difference? It is my understanding that the hot shoe and use of external flash does measureably improve indoor shots, is that the case?
How critical is the articulating screen to most users? For $30 or $40, I would probably not be asking this question, but the difference is significent.

Are there any other differences between the 2 cameras that would cause one to spend the extra mnoney?

Thank you
bigbuster885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:43 PM   #2

I chose the FZ40 over the FZ100 because of two things. What in my opinion is better image quality, and the cheaper price. In my experience I hardly ever used the hot shoe on my previous camera. If you do take a lot of indoor shots I would recommend a DSLR because as good as the FZ100 and FZ40 are, they will never beat a larger sensor. The articulated screen is a fantastic feature but it was not a deal breaker for me as I don't find myself in situations sticking my camera over my head! It all depends on how you will use your camera.

The money you saved by not buying the FZ100 can go toward an extra battery, a new memory card and a nice case to carry your new FZ40 in.

Panasonic FZ40
therealjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:17 PM   #3

I have, I fear over analyzed this purchase and have thought of a DSLR, a Panny G1, the Canon SX30IS and the FZ40 and FZ100. I have a Panny ZS7 that I can use in my pocket to carry along and wanted something with a longer zoom when it calls for that and decent IQ. Years ago I had a Canon slr and quite frankly got tired of lugging the weight around and then about the time I would not take a specific lens would be the time that I could have used it. I missed many pictures because of the bulk and not actually having a camera handy and I am concerned that if I bought the dslr I would run into the same issues, I have some of that concern with the G1, and the multiple lens and I am 25 years older, and in not as good a shape.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjustin View Post
"The articulated screen is a fantastic feature but it was not a deal breaker for me as I don't find myself in situations sticking my camera over my head! It all depends on how you will use your camera."
FZ40 LCD supports high angle mode.
I use this mode from time to time with FZ7 & find it actually works quite well.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:21 AM   #5

Very good video camera, much less photograph. Its main drawback is the lack of "sharpness". The photos appear smoothed.
Despite its name FZ100, this is not a worthy successor to the much awaited FZ50, and in photography it is below the FZ38, damage to the paper it 'was almost a dream ...
Preview of my FZ100 => http://previewofmyfz100.canalblog.com/
PassionNature78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 7:13 AM   #6

Very happy with my fz40 - I don't think you would be disappointed.

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 7:25 AM   #7

I would choose the FZ40 over the FZ100 mainly because of image quality. The FZ40 runs a very close second to the FZ35 in IQ. If you are interested in DSLR's you might check out the Sony A33 or A55. Very light weight and great IQ in low light. I just recently purchased the Sony A33 and really like the quality of the pictures. I also contemplated an G1 or G2 but decided to get a camera with the bigger sensor.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:00 AM   #8

What is high angle mode, I obviously did not see that in the spec's or if I did I did not understand it?

I looked at the price of the A33 and that is clearly more than I would want to spend. My budget for this purchase at this time would not exceed $450. Trying to balance out the need for a zoom that allows for taking pictures of wildlife and a niece while she is playing, IQ and the weight and convenience is difficult to balance out. I realize there is no silver bullet. I was giving serious consideration to the Panny G1 because of the larger sensor, which i assumed would translate to better IQ, it is currently priced at $400 with the 14 to 45 lens and I thought that sometime in the next year I would spring for the 40 to 200MM telezoom which would give me 400mm but that is still less than the FZ40 or FZ100

I print very few of my pictures, have scanned thousands of slides and prints and put them in a slide show format and burn to a DVD. I will not be printing anything larger than 8x10 and rarely do that.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:49 AM   #9

I got many excellent pictures from the FZ40. "High angle mode" - believe is referring to the angle at which you can view the LCD. I think it's supposed to give you better viewing at "higher angles" i.e if you are holding up high or low.

I tried the FZ100 but I just couldn't get as many good pictures and I got frustrated with it. However, if you look at LTZ470's pictures, he can make the FZ100 shine!!

If I could have added anything to the FZ40 it would be an articulated LCD.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuster885 View Post
What is high angle mode, I obviously did not see that in the spec's or if I did I did not understand it?
It is described in the user manual. The camera provides a setting for the LCD (called High Angle) that enhances the LCD presentation to be visible when the camera is held over one's head such as when attempting to photograph a parade over the heads of people who may be in front blocking direct view.

It comes in handy & actually works well. You can probably just google "FZ40 High Angle" to get a further description, but what it is and the switch setting for it are better described in the user manual.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote