Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 3, 2010, 5:25 AM   #1

Default New FZ35, accessories dilemma

I am completely knew to cameras so I need help I know there are threads about this, I've seen them. They helped but I'm still undecided.

Stay under 100$, ~50$ would be great

1st, what accessories do I need? (I already have a backup 4GB SDHC class 4 or 6 idk and a 4~5" mini flexible tripod)

#1 Case(s) - A clip to belt case would be AWESOME, something that fits the camera + a battery. Than another where I can also fit 1 or 2 filters + the hood backwards? idk how useful a hood is really... If you can leave a filter on the camera with damaging it, a bigger bag isn't necessary. I've heard about the L110 as a good bag, and that Ripoff holster looks cool too... I want to stay under 30$ for a case, preferably under 20$

#2 Memory Card - A 8GB or 16GB Class 10 should be good right?? 13~14$ for the 8GB or ~24$ for the 16GB IIRC

#3 Filters - Here I am confused... I'd like to have a filter on at all times except when there is reflexion or wtv I'll take it off np. Just to not need to clean my lens much and protect from the lens being touched (ie:fingerprints) Now a protective lens would do fine right? perhaps I should go for a Haze multicoated filter? I have no idea. And perhaps I should get a multicoated Circular polarizing filter? and a pouch or case or wtv for them too? Please guide me

#4 2 extra batteries - They are OEM etc but cheap and do the job apparently.

#5 LensPEN + cleaning kit (with hurricane blower and cloths) - I need this right? any in particular?

#6 LCD protector - To avoid scratches in the long run?

#7 Cheap tripod - could help me in some pics right?

#8 Mini-HDMI cable for the TV, cheap, why not?

Anything I am forgetting?

Also, i it a bad thing to start learning taking pictures at ISO 100 in Full Manual? I usually keep the aperture thing very open (low f numbers) and experiment with the shutter. If I want to take pictures of fast moving things I put a lower shutter speed. I find 1/15 shutter speed will compensate for a hell lot of hand movement and subject movement already though
n-ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:06 AM   #2

Amazon is a great place to shop for items like this
http://www.amazon.com/TheZipKit-PANA...1381411&sr=8-7

I'm sure you can find almost all of them there.

I got a very inexpensive mini-HDMI cable from Monoprice - works great.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:28 AM   #3

Out of all the things you listed here, I think the items you really need to start with are: good case (http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...s-holster.html), memory card (I use a 8GB and find it plenty), a tripod or a monopod (Dolica brand has been recommended to me as cheap and reliable), and some lens cleaning tissue. Other items you can add as you go. If you want a filter to protect your lens, get a UV filter (I think Hoya is a good brand), but you will find that dust will still get inside. I haven't needed an extra battery, but I would get one if I'm going on a trip. Of course, this is just my humble opinion.....

As for camera setting, I suggest you start in full auto (iA) mode until you get used to the camera. However, you can't select the ISO value in this setting.

Last edited by saly; Dec 3, 2010 at 7:22 PM.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 6:50 PM   #4

you mean full auto? :P

Thanks you two, was wonder about those zipkits, are they any good? there is also a 30$ version with a case

So I do not want a circular polarizing thing? doesn't that help for blue skies though?

http://www.ripoffs.com/datasheets/co179/co179ep.html
Is this holster fine and where can I get it?

Last edited by n-ster; Dec 3, 2010 at 6:54 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 7:26 PM   #5

[QUOTE=n-ster;1174052]you mean full auto? :P

Yes, I meant full auto....silly me

I recommend you start without a polarizing filter - but again that's my humble opinion. A good one can be expensive, and you should get a good one.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:08 PM   #6

If you are completely new to cameras, don't bother about accessories at this stage. After five years into digital photography, I'm doing fine without ANY accessory. (Extra battery and card reader are 'essential'.)
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:40 AM   #7

OK so no polarizing filter, as you pointed out saly, they can get a bit too expensive for my basic uses. How about a Haze or protector filter? So that I don't need to cary a LensPEN around, just a cloth?

How about the Zipkit that Clint linked + LensPEN (can be used for my glasses and LCD screens too anyways right?) + 16GB (16gb is sooo cheap + have fun with videos) SDHC card + 3$ HDMI cable + Ripoffs 179ep holster

23.93$ + 6.59$ + 24.49$ + 3.05$ + 20+$ (I'm guessing this) =~ 80$

This seems good right? perhaps a tripod and cheap filter to protect against who knows what
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:17 PM   #8

Again, I'm no expert on filters, but polarizers have pros and cons, too. They will give you deeper blue skies but it will also have unnatural effects such as getting rid of reflections on water, etc. I have a UV filter to protect the lens, but I find that it does not keep dust out, only protects from scratches. It also needs to be removed if you ever decide to add a conversion lens (close-up or telephoto).

A small padded case for camera plus few small accessories is good. I just carry some lens tissue. If you get a cloth, I would not use it for anything other than your lens. Very easy to transfer oils.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:57 PM   #9

is a "Haze" filter fine? I'll buy a finger to protect from the perhaps tiny splash of water to a potential scratch or touch of an oily finger toddler xD

I'm a bit nervous about this zip kit, but I shouldn't be right? I might get a polarizing filter later on in my photographic life :P

I am please to annonced I've gotten much better and I'm having fun taking pics and sometimes using 1/200 or faster shutter speeds and take pics of impossible to see by naked eye liscence plates and stuff, just to improve my friends (the 18x + 4x digital zoom = 72x)

P.S: Thanks saly, I'm used to having a thanks button and clicking that but know I gotta remember to include it in my post lol
Old Dec 20, 2010, 3:57 PM   #10

Got Some Finger Smudges on my FZ35 , what is the best way to clean it.
NaveenR is offline   Reply With Quote