Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:22 AM   #1

Default Photgraphing artwork help please

Hi, as most of you know i mainly use my camera to photograph my artwork for my site and blog. However, i am wondering if anyone has any advice on photographing better than i can get it. With all the experts on here i am sure someone here can advise me.
When i photograph my line drawing it comes out very dark and grey. I have to spend ages rubbing out and whitening all the areas i need lighter - do i have to do this or does anyone know of a better and quicker way to do this please?
I am attaching a photo of my latest line drawing as you will see i rubbed out the background but the flower is still grey. What would be great is to have the whole thing as white as possible with just the lines dark. Any help/advice would be great.
Thanks in advance.
E.
File won't upload for some reason so will keep trying. In the mean time can anyone advise with the discription above please?

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Are you using an auto mode (Auto, P, Av, Tv etc)? If so this will mean if the picture is mainly white the camera will assume it should be grey (it averages an entire scene always unless you use centre weighted etc.

Basically use manual exposure and white balance, this is the only real way to get accurate results.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:38 AM   #3

In addition, I would suggest using low-intensity or diffused flash (by introducing a translucent white material in front of the flash), so that the subject gets a little more light, but not a bright flash as to white-out the grey areas which need to be there.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Flash is pretty likely to make a nasty reflection and it's better to use continuous lighting that can be set to make things even. Using a tripod is likely essential with a bit longer shutter speed so low ISOs are available.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 4:19 PM   #5

Still cannot upload the photo i wanted to show you.
Thanks for the replies.
Mark can you explain a bit more about using Maual please, still a newbie here so a bit lost. Yes i was using auto and P modes. I can use centre weighted ok but not used Manual yet.
Many thanks for the replies.
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 4:34 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I've not read it all but think this link will help you out.

http://www.worth1000.com/tutorials/1...-for-beginners

Make sure you set the lowest ISO (I think it is 80 or 100 on your camera). Then have the aperture at f4.5 and about an equivalent of 50mm focal length, this will allow for a sharp shot. Now adjust the shutter speed to get the correct exposure. If light is low this could be 1 second but that's fine as long as the camera is on a tripod. If it is needing to be this slow make sure you use the timer so you can press the shutter then leave the camera to take the shot with no vibrations. Check the manual to see if there is a 2 second or only 10 second timer.... 2 is better as you have less waiting time.

Make sure with the exposure that the whites are white but still with some detail left and you should be good. If it is too dark make the shutter speed longer, if it is too light make it faster.

Also use the correct white balance setting for your environment.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 7:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Flash is pretty likely to make a nasty reflection and it's better to use continuous lighting ...
I agree, Mark, this will happen, particularly if the surface of the paper is smooth and shiny, like boards. That's why I said diffused flash which will not show as a spot on white paper.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:59 AM   #8

Many thank for all that information. Will try it all out. I really appreciate all the help and advice.
E.