Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:40 PM   #1

Default panasonic fz35 NTSC/PAL issue

hi everyone,new to this site and an absolute begginner with digital cameras. i took delivery today of a panasonic fz35,turns out its a US import and supports NTSC only. as i live in UK which is PAL format,can anyone tell me what problems i will have with it and of anyway around the problems? any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you
delsmith321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:55 AM   #2

Hi,

I have also an american NTSC version although I am living in PAL country Germany. I actually bought mine in the US because of the good Euro-Dollar rate.

There is only one problem: when you hook up the cam directly to a PAL-TV set the signal is not properly recognized and you can't display your movies or pictures. Many modern TV-sets are of course already able to read the NTSC signal - so in this case there isn't even this problem. Usually, I edit my pictures and videos with an editing program (Sony Vegas Movie Studio) and only view the edited clips - then it is also not a problem.

Otherwise I am very happy with the cam. You can record video with 30fps - which gives smooth movements and you don't have the 30min restriction for video recording.

Some of my stuff on vimeo (all shot with an FZ-35):
The tree: www.vimeo.com/11345662
with LC55 macro lens: www.vimeo.com/13884313
Zeeland: www.vimeo.com/14488204
The old mill: www.vimeo.com/14577326
autoHDR: www.vimeo.com/15797552
soccer kids: www.vimeo.com/17208358
christmas lights: www.vimeo.com/17912783

Joho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:15 AM   #3

thanks Joho for your quick reply and for putting my mind at rest,i will have a look at your clips when i have more time. can i pick your brains once more and ask what essential accessories i may need bearing in mind i am an absolute beginner? thank you once again.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:49 PM   #4

I found four things very useful:

- a spare battery
- a second SD card

for video recording:
- an ND-filter that reduces flare when you record video against light sources
- a tripod to reduce camera shaking.

Some of my stuff on vimeo (all shot with an FZ-35):
The tree: www.vimeo.com/11345662
with LC55 macro lens: www.vimeo.com/13884313
Zeeland: www.vimeo.com/14488204
The old mill: www.vimeo.com/14577326
autoHDR: www.vimeo.com/15797552
soccer kids: www.vimeo.com/17208358
christmas lights: www.vimeo.com/17912783

Joho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:47 AM   #5

Delsmith i have also bought the camera from the US and i live in Europe there is no problem watching your videos on the pc. I think that there is not going to be a problem watching them on your tv either if you have a new one because they support both formats. As for the accessories i think that for a beginner (like me) these things are good : Tripod, carrying bag, cleaning kit for the lens and a decent SD card like 4Gb or 8Gb. Thats what i got + a screen protector cause i tend to touch the screen all the time :P. The battery and the 2nd SD i think they are for a little later or if you plan on going to a trip and take a loooot of photos , though they are necessary

Last edited by geoper2; Dec 16, 2010 at 11:52 AM.
geoper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 1:46 PM   #6

thaks for your feedback much appreciated. about the software supplied with camera, is it any good or is there others that you would recommend? thanks again
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:29 PM   #7

For post processing, I like Photoshop Elements. It's easier to use than Photoshop, and not too expensive (under $100 US) and it's very powerful. I also use Picasa web album which has a pretty good post processing feature, and it's free!
saly is offline   Reply With Quote