Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:26 PM   #1

Default TZ10: Is the image sharp enough?

Hi, I bought TZ10 2weeks ago. Only recently installed this program and followed by updating it with "PfS51HDWebUp-L130-E" from PHOTOfunSTUDIO/Panasonic website. With my older FX01, I have been using ACDSee 12, where I routinely sharpen my images with visibly good results on my laptop set at 1280x800 native resolution. In using PHOTOfunSTUDIO, I have the following observations and concerns.
My observations;
1 TZ10 OOC images (Pic Adj all set at 0) and FX01 OOC images are very surely sharper when viewed in PHOTOfunSTUDIO than in ACDSee.
2 TZ10 images (Pic Adj all set at 0) benefit only little improvement from sharpening at my usual settings in ACDSee.
3 A sample of TZ10 image sharpened in ACDSee and it's OOC image when both viewed in PHOTOfunSTUDIO, looked similarly sharp.
My concerns;
1 Has PHOTOfunSTUDIO viewer bumped up sharpness by default?
2 Has ACDSee viewer failed to display the full sharpness of an image?
3 With 2 viewers at hand, an image is shown sharp in one viewer than the other viewer, how do I decide whether or not the image is sharp enough or needs sharpening?
Appreciate some opinions. Thank you.
david123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:17 AM   #2

I've noticed this phenomenon with many other photo editor software. Picasa for a while would not save the adjustments made to sharpening as it appeared during editing. In fact, it seems like any two software will produce different results when compared against each other, no matter what they are. I think the reason is because they all deploy different techniques to sharpen an image and some are more aggressive than others. Some are very simple and offer one slide that adjusts sharpness on a percentage scale while others allow you to adjust the size of the area being sharpened among other adjustments related to sharpening. So, I think there is no real/exact solution for this problem. My suggestion (and that's what I do) is for you to select the software that does the best job to your liking even if that means using different software to edit an image. I like lightzone for B&W conversion but prefer Photoscape for sharpening and Neatimage for noise removal.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:15 PM   #3

Many thanks for the rationalisation, Tullio.
I'll do what you'd suggested and not worry about the fact that every editing software will give different results.
Cheers and a Merry Christmas!
david123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:04 PM   #4

Same to you, David!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote