Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:38 PM   #1

Default Todays Bald Eagle shoot

Hi all this was taken from Cda Idaho and I was wondering what I could do to improve this picture Im not sure how to post the exif data and hope its on the picture...
Any input welcomed
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:04 AM   #2

Maybe brighten it up alittle and also maybe clone out the branch in front of the eagle just my sugesstions
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:47 AM   #3

to salvage this pic? you might be able to pull some detail out of the shadows with pseudo-HDR processing, or with enough fiddling with levels and selective brightening, but this one's so dark, i'm not sure you can do much with it.

you were at f/5.6 and 86mm zoom.. something near max, i imagine? also the shutter was 1/1000... much faster than necessary for a stationary subject under these lighting conditions. next time, try shooting in aperture mode instead of program; set your aperture for somewhere between f/5.6 and f/8 to give you decent DOF, and let the camera pick the shutter speed. use spot metering on the eagle and don't worry about the sky - it'll probably wash out, but the eagle will be properly exposed, and that's about all you can do with that kind of background.

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:26 AM   #4

Thanks a lot it was a very foggy day and made it somewhat hard at times to capture anything BUT I'm concerned with more detail and less pp in order not to rely on Photoshop I want the cam to do the work not the software and this is where the learning kicks in...lol and will take that suggestion cuz I'm gonna give it another shot tomorrow...
Thanks Guyz
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:57 AM   #5

Spot Focus and Spot Metering...Tripod or Monopod...and if the Eagle sat there for sometime then use the EV +/- to go up/down in exposure...I would have used the 3 shot 10 second off tripod for this if given the opportunity for the most details...

And like Squirrel stated forget the sky and let it blow out...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:02 PM   #6

Thanks LTZ470 did you mean a bracketing shot? "I would have used the 3 shot 10 second"
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagaboo View Post
Thanks LTZ470 did you mean a bracketing shot? "I would have used the 3 shot 10 second"
No it's a setting for shot delay...you set the camera to the 10 second delay and when it counts down 10 sec's it will shoot 3 shots in succession refocusung for each shot and then taking it...then you have three shots that you can actually choose from or even stack if so desired...

But the bracketing would be another excellent idea!
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
No it's a setting for shot delay...you set the camera to the 10 second delay and when it counts down 10 sec's it will shoot 3 shots in succession refocusung for each shot and then taking it...then you have three shots that you can actually choose from or even stack if so desired...

But the bracketing would be another excellent idea!
You know I didnt know this existed on the fz35...gonna look now, thank you I REALLY need a printed manual of this cam not the condensed version...lol
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagaboo View Post
You know I didnt know this existed on the fz35...gonna look now, thank you I REALLY need a printed manual of this cam not the condensed version...lol

Whoa LTZ, I didn't know about this feature either! And I've read the manual cover to cover several times!!!! So, the difference between this and the burst mode is that the burst mode does not refocus after each shot?

wagaboo - it's described in the "Taking Pictures with the Self-Timer" section of the Advanced Manual, page 73. Although it does not tell you about the refocusing that LTZ mentions. They really need better documentation.....
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:50 PM   #10

Thanks Saly