Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:07 PM   #1
csa

Default New member with new FZ40

Hi everyone, just got my new FZ40, mainly because of the beautiful photos here by members, using this camera.

I cannot get the lens shade to "lock" on. I'm afraid to use too much power, as I may not be able to get it off! If I do get it on, can the lens cap be used, with the shade?

Any suggestions as to why the shade is so difficult to get on (line up the marks), would be appreciated!

Carol
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2010, 4:07 PM   #2

Hi Carol welcome to the forum and congrats for your new camera i hope you ll have fun with it like everyone else here !
So by saying lens shade i understand that you mean the lens hood ? If this is the case then be sure to have the hood adaptor placed on the camera then have the little screw unscrewed on the side of the lens hood all the way, the sticker which may be on the lens hood should be on the lower side facing down. Then push the hood on the camera you may need to play with the screw when the hood is touching the adaptor then apply a lil force to it and it will fit right on. As for the lens cap you can have it on along with the lens hood if you want its possible.

This is for the fz35 which i have, i guess the fz40 is different though.

Last edited by geoper2; Dec 23, 2010 at 5:52 PM.
geoper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 4:38 PM   #3
csa

Thanks for the warm welcome! Sorry; I was indeed speaking of the Lens Hood. However, mine does not have any screw on it The hood just pushes up on the lens, and then it's supposed to be turned a little in order to line up a mark on the hood, and one on the camera.

However, it's very difficult to turn so that the lines match, and it's locked into place. I really don't want to force it, as I may not be able to remove it.

Carol
Old Dec 23, 2010, 6:52 PM   #4

Carol I never use the lens hoods, but will attach mine on my FZ40 and report back...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 7:14 PM   #5
csa

If you never use it, it can't be very important! It's because of your photos that I was swayed from the Canon to the FZ40!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:24 PM   #6

Carol the best way I figured out was to turn the camera on so the lens barrel would extend out for a good grasp...firmly grip the lens barrel with one hand and then thread the lens hood on and when it comes to the stops it then requires additional force to "snap lock' into place...I did this several times and it was OK...but you could use a very little silicone grease or just a little saliva rubbed onto the edges of the lens hood and it clicked into place easily...sorry the saliva is a guy thing...lol...
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:56 PM   #7
csa

Thanks for the tips! I'm just starting to get into all this camera can do, & all I can say, is Wow! I've done photography (amateur) for most of my life; and I think this camera will keep me busy for a long, long while!

I'm also heavy into astronomy, so am anxious to try the "Starry night" option.

Thanks again, & Happy Holidays to all!

Carol
Old Dec 24, 2010, 3:53 AM   #8

Carol - I don't use the lens hood because it makes the camera so bulky. The compactness is what I really love about this camera (I have the FZ35) so I don't want to give that up! Also, whenever I use the closeup conversion lens (LC-55), I have to remove the hood, so I just keep it off.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:43 AM   #9
csa

Hello, and thanks for that information; I agree it does make it bulky, so I'm also not going to use it. After reading the forums here, I'm also going to get the LC55 close-up lens. I also need the LA5 adapter with this, don't I?

I appreciate the helpfulness & friendliness on these forums, makes a newbie feel right at home!
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:30 AM   #10

Yes, you require the LA5 Adapter Carol...