Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:21 AM   #1
csa

Default Monopods?

Anyone use a monopod? If so, what brand, etc. I would like to get one with the retractible base (3 feet); and the only one I can find is the Manfrotto.

Thanks everyone!
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2010, 1:36 PM   #2

Hi again, CSA!
I've got a Bogen/Manfrotto that I use for binoculars, though I think I'm going to be using it more now for photography than astro use as I'm getting into more serious camera work. I have the Giotto MM-9180 Monopod/Bogen 3265 grip action combo that I got from BigBinoculars.com. It's a seriously nice and solid setup.
You might want to browse eBay... I typed in "monopod" and came up with over 1700 hits just in the "Tripods & Supports" category. Anything you can imagine!
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 1:46 PM   #3

I went economical and got a Norazzo monopod and a Sima Quick Connect adapter, got both for about $20. They work well enough for me. I got the Norazzo because it is super light weight, but the locking clips are little too hard(tight) to operate. Eventually I'll spend bit more and get a good one.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:37 PM   #4
csa

Thanks Wes & Saly! I'm thinking the one with the retractible base would be more stable; but it's very pricey.

I have a great tripod, lightweight; but again, for walking to take photos, a monopod would be much more ideal. Like Saly, I also want the quick release on it.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:56 PM   #5
csa

Saly:

"Sima Quick Connect adapter"

Is this narrow enough to open the battery compartment without removing it from the camera?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 2:47 PM   #6
csa

I've got this one coming from a Montana dealer, about mid January:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._MagMount.html

I was a little concerned about the "magnet" holder; but there's a lever that locks it in.

I'm in no hurry, as I'm in the middle of a very vicious blizzard.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa View Post
Saly:

"Sima Quick Connect adapter"

Is this narrow enough to open the battery compartment without removing it from the camera?
No, unfortunately I have to remove the adapter plate in order to open the battery/card compartment.

What I find myself doing most of the time is not to attach the camera to the monopod at all. I just have the quick release base attached to the monopod, then I rest the camera on it, like a platform. I find it steady enough most of the time. Actually, majority of my shots are free handed because I'm too lazy to carry around the monopod....
Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:21 PM   #8
csa

That's a great idea, just to rest it on the monopad, rather than connect; I'll have to see how mine works out.

Heck, I don't think it's laziness at all; some of the very best shots are when you least expect to find them; so you're not prepared carrying additional equipment.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa View Post
That's a great idea, just to rest it on the monopad, rather than connect; I'll have to see how mine works out.

Heck, I don't think it's laziness at all; some of the very best shots are when you least expect to find them; so you're not prepared carrying additional equipment.
Let me know how you like your new monopod/tripod combo. Looks like a good idea.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 7:24 PM   #10
csa

Saly, I sure will; as I mentioned they don't expect it in until mid January. I think it will give me opportunities for better photos.