Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 30, 2010, 6:08 PM   #11

Buchan Caves Australia...
Attached Images

chirantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 6:11 PM   #12

Nice caves shots I've been to Jenolan a couple of times, but not Buchan.

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 6:41 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Your exposure problem (dark areas) is the limitation of the sensor in capturing the full dynamic range. If you get a correct exposure for the highlights then the shadows will be too dark, if exposing for the shadows the highlights will be blown out. You can do a HDR photo, or take two exposures and combine (sort of HDR) for the correctly exposed areas. Other options are to work with the light, if the sun is behind you either completely, or behind and to the side (the latter looks much better in a photo) this will help balance exposure in a single frame.

Work on your main subject and expose for that, the rest of the scene is never as important but still needs to be considered.

If you are getting a shot which is under exposed then dialing in EV-0.7 is going to compound the problem not help it. It really does depend on the makeup of the scene you are shooting, how much is bright sky, how much is ground.

Getting away from shooting in really bright conditions in the middle of the day is a big help, the light is much better in the morning and evening. If you have to shoot in the day, look for the most balanced composition, take a couple of exposures so you can combine them in your editing software later (assuming you have something like paintshop pro or photoshop) and have fun with it.

You can't expect miracles if the light is not right so don't let it ruin your day
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackyardPermaculture View Post
Nice caves shots I've been to Jenolan a couple of times, but not Buchan.

I've heard about Jenolan caves and Blue mountains. I have been to Sydney only once and we stayed most of our time in the city.
I hope to explore more in this summer...
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:40 PM   #15

Yes it was around midday. I was with a bunch of my friends and was bit exited too...next time I have to focus on my subject, direction of light and the exposure...
Thanks everybody for ur great advices...

Chirantha.