Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:24 PM   #11

Wow Gary really great shots from a dedicated photog...these encourage everyone else to step out a little more...very well done! Thanks for sharing...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post

LTZ, these are really amazing shots!!!! I don't know how you do it.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
LTZ, these are really amazing shots!!!! I don't know how you do it.
Many thanks Saly...the ZS7 is a very good camera...you should have one as it can do Macros really well without a converter lens...you would be very good with it there is no doubt in my mind!
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:20 AM   #14

I brought the ZS7 from Amazon recently at the $249 price as well and I am mostly impressed.

Versus my old camera, a Kodak DX7590, the ZS7 beats it hands down when flash is not used or cannot be used effectively - e.g. taking pictures of animals at the zoo that are several meters away, the effective image stabilization of the ZS7 helps tremendously.

When flash can be used, the 7590 flips the tables on the ZS7. I agree with Sarah here - the ZS7's flash just doesn't cut it.

The ZS7's flash is weak, and noise at ISO 400 when viewed at 100% is really ugly with lots of luminance noise and yellow blotching over everything and rather plastic-looking skin. I run it through Noise Ninja, and that helps.

But, when you don't view at 100%, the images come out just fine. At the "Best fit" size on my 22'' monitor, the images at ISO 400 in dim light is acceptable, not stellar.

Here, I look at it this way.

The ZS7 costs $250. It takes 720p video with stereo sound. It's excellent and I've recorded myself playing piano and watched it on my computer. You can't find a camcorder today for $250 that takes HD video. Much less one with a 12x zoom (in case you were thinking of a Flip ).

On the other hand, most cameras at the $250 level are hard pressed to match the ZS7. The only camera I know of that can beat the ZS7 hand down is the Fujifilm F200exr, which unfortunately lacks HD video. The F70 and the F80 also edge out the ZS7 to an extent, but at the expense of HD video.

If I were you, I'd purchase a cheap $10 dollar slave flash off Amazon to complement your ZS7. I'm getting one too.

*Edit*

I just tried a self-portrait with slow-sync flash, and it helps tremendously. I think I stumbled upon this tip earlier just before seeing this post and signing up just to comment .

Nonetheless, I should also point out all the portraits I've took in low-light to analyze the ZS7 have a slightly glassy, glazed over look. No, I'm not hungover. It's just a lack of sharpness that makes the picture look like it was ever so slightly out of focus. A slight USM filter helps .

In conclusion, don't let my rants on the ZS7 deter you from the purchase. If you seek a good balance of video quality and photo quality, the ZS7 is for you. Depending on your expectations, the output straight from the ZS7 may meet your expectations, however, if they don't, some coaxing can help you get the best out the ZS7. And the use of a slave flash!

Last edited by TechOutsider; Dec 30, 2010 at 12:31 AM.
TechOutsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post
Am I missing something? Were there supposed to be photos in this post?
You are missing something. There are two images there that everyone else seems to see ok.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:28 AM   #16

Most folks including our family use the ZS7 for capturing family outings...this is what these were made for and if they go to ISO400 and give us some decent shots for memories all the better...the ZS7 can rival the DSLR's for Macro Shots...

Don't never doubt for one minute that the ZS7 is not capable...the only limiting factor on my ZS7 I have found is me....I tried the flash in different manners if you tilt the flash slight down toward the subject it will give you a better flash...sometimes with these smaller camera's we have to improvise...but we have really enjoyed the ZS7 I have bought at least 7 so far as I keep selling them to other people...here are some ZS7 shots indoors with Flash taken by a Nigerian Friend and His Family...iA Mode...they are getting some great shots out of this camera...these are amatuers taking these shots folks...

Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:31 AM   #17

Thank you all your feedback and inputs. I am going to take the plunge into ZS7 world.
deesapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesapa View Post
1. I am looking at $249 as the best price on amazon with free shipping, Is that a good deal or I should wait it out.
It's a good deal. Of course, the longer you wait, the more chances you have to buy it cheaper but...you don't have the camera until that day comes and when it comes, you can still wait a tad longer and get it even cheaper. So, if the price is right and within what you wish to spend, then go ahead and buy it.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:25 PM   #19

It was $229 at Adorama...
Old Dec 30, 2010, 5:27 PM   #20

Cole-

Nope. Adorama is back up to $249.95.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote