Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 30, 2010, 2:35 PM   #1

Default Adapter DMW-LA3E & old filters

Impressed by the shots I see on here of insects & flowers I am weighing up options on which close-up lens to get (Panny LC55E or a Raynox). Aware that I deffo need the Adapter I was pleased to find it offered, if ordered before end December, on Panasonic's own UK shop site for 18.99 with FREE delivery (normally 4). Seems the best deal around & whilst not in stock they will hold to the offer so I have ordered today.

I understand the front thread of the Adapter is 55mm, which I assume will enable me to use an old ND4 filter of this size. I also have a +4 close-up filter from my old SLR with this diameter. At risk of asking a silly question . . . . has anyone used such a filter? It was a gift many years ago & don't think I ever used it with my SLR. What is the difference between the +4 filter & the DMW-LC55E or a Raynox lens?
Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:02 PM   #2

brownie - I haven't heard about putting a filter on the adapter end, but sounds like it should work.....I hope someone else with more expertise responds to your post on this subject.

As for the LC-55, it is equivalent to a +2 diopter by itself. The addition of the extension tube increases it to +8 (I think). I think the quality of this conversion lens is excellent. It is a close-up lens, rather than a macro, however. There's a limit to how close you can get to your subject. But, the lens quality if very good, so you can crop and enlarge the image very nicely.

I just purchased the Raynox 250, but I haven't had chance to really experiment with it. This Raynox 250 alone is a +8 diopter, which, in combination with the extension tube makes it a +32 or +24 diopter (I think).

Last edited by saly; Dec 30, 2010 at 4:14 PM.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:46 PM   #3

Thanks - I keep reading the posts about the various close-ups, but still to decide which lens. However it seemed like a good idea to get the adapter now - our VAT rate goes up next Tuesday, so with the FREE delivery I will have saved a few more pennies by ordering now. Am trying to decide on the lens before Tuesday & save a few more - every little helps!

Been having a rummage around my old film SLR equipment & find I also have a Cokin 55mm adapter. Whilst most filters are now unneccessary as you can digitally process to your heart's content I might find something else to play around with! Photography is fun!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:06 AM   #4

Adapter tube arrived & I have been playing with the +4 close-up filter, so far with limited success as far as getting the focus spot on. As outdoors in decent light is not an option before next weekend I am limited in my subject matter & lighting. But I finally realised it is easier to move the camera to & fro than keep trying to adjust camera focus! Has anyone got both the LC-55E & the Raynox DCR-250? Which do you prefer & why? I am leaning towards the latter I think as I imagine results with the former will be pretty much what I can get with my +4 filter.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie six-20 View Post
Adapter tube arrived & I have been playing with the +4 close-up filter, so far with limited success as far as getting the focus spot on. As outdoors in decent light is not an option before next weekend I am limited in my subject matter & lighting. But I finally realised it is easier to move the camera to & fro than keep trying to adjust camera focus! Has anyone got both the LC-55E & the Raynox DCR-250? Which do you prefer & why? I am leaning towards the latter I think as I imagine results with the former will be pretty much what I can get with my +4 filter.
Yes, I have both the LC-55 and Raynox 250. The Raynox 250, when used with the extension tube provides approximately a diopter +32 (I think), while the LC-55 provides diopter +8. I don't think the Raynox 250 lens is as good of quality, and the DOF makes it very tricky to use. But, I haven't had the Raynox very long so I need more practice. I will try to post some comparison shots in the next few days.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote