Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 30, 2010, 5:18 PM   #1

Default New FZ35 - cannot get pics off camera

I bought a new FZ35 last week. I've shot some images (which I really like through the viewer on the camera), but now I cannot get them off the camera.

I loaded PHOTOfunSTUDIO off the CD that came with the camera. I have the cable connected to my USB port on my PC, and then to the camera. I open PHOTOfunSTUDIO and find the icon for "copy to PC."

After a minute or so, it comes up with a new hardware F:. (I have a CD drive as D:, and an external drive as E: - virtual control drive, and G:, as the external drive). I routinely use the same USB port for a thumb drive, always activated as F: (using multiple thumb drives, but it always comes up as Travel Drive, F.

Now, the camera shows up as F:, which seem reasonable. Apparently, the setup for the camera is as an external mass storage device. When I click on F: (the third of the three drives shown on my screen), I am getting an error "Unsupported Media."

I have used two other digital cameras on my PC, both Canon. In those cases, software on the PC controls the camera, and it does not show up as a mass storage device. I'm assuming Panasonic is different in this regard -- it looks to the camera as a mass storage device and is handled by MS XP as such. Is each day's images stored in new folder on the camera, and the files (read: images) handled as a separate file? Are the folders and files within those folders managed on the camera just like any other folder/file setup on C:?

One other point, which may relate. When I ordered the camera, I also ordered an 8GB memory card. I have inserted into the camera. I have no intention of video, just images, on this camera. On my Canon cameras, a new card cannot be used apart from formatting. I don't find a format instruction in the FZ35 manual, excepting for video. Therefore, I have done nothing with regard to formatting on this new card.

Is my problem an unformatted card? I am wondering if the few images I've shot are being stored on the internal memory of the camera, and not on the card. But, I see no instructions on using the internal memory on the camera.

Anybody have any insight on this?

I spent many months researching a new camera, finally decided on the FZ35, and now I have some images on the new camera, but cannot get them off. Frustrated,... and disappointed.

Thanks.
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:29 PM   #2

Sounds like you need to install a driver for the camera?
But I didn't get one for my fz100 so I'm guessing you didn't either.

If you can take photos and view them on the camera then the problem is to do with your pc.

Easiest solution would be to go and buy a card reader (around $10).

My Flickr

Joe Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:46 PM   #3

Even better...

Get an inexpensive card reader, and the problem is solved. I use them all the time.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:50 PM   #4

Joe, no, I don't think I got a driver for the camera. I did some looking online, but am reluctant to download anything new (virus threat?).

I'm presuming a card reader goes on the USB port, right?

One more point that I realized I failed to mention in the other post. When working with "My Computer" (I am running XP Home), it will fine F:. But, when I go to F:, I find nothing, no folders, no files. Is this a further indication that a driver is missing?
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:54 PM   #5
csa

I agree with the others, get a card reader; that's what I've used for all my cameras.

Also, I'm assuming the FZ35 would be about the same as my FZ40, & it definitely has instructions to format the card before using it for the first time.
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:57 PM   #6

Remove the card and then try to view the photographs. If they still show, they are on the internal memory of the camera. Going through the menu options, you can copy them to the card. (in my FZ28, it is the last item on the 'playback' menu.)
If they don't show, they are on the memory card. As suggested, get a card reader and connect to the computer.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:08 PM   #7

Are you turning the camera on? I have to do that with my FZ40 but not with my dad's Sony or my mom's Kodak.
David_MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:26 PM   #8

Even better, just connect the camera to the PC via the supplied USB cable and cut/copy the images from the drive (the camera) that appears in Windows Explorer. If the card appears blank, I suspect you have not formatted the card in-camera? Some cards come partitioned from the manufacturer and will not work properly in certain devices until they are formatted.

Pulling a card in and out of your camera will shorten the life of the contacts on the card and it just introduces another problem into the equation anyway.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger53 View Post
Joe, no, I don't think I got a driver for the camera. I did some looking online, but am reluctant to download anything new (virus threat?).

I'm presuming a card reader goes on the USB port, right?

One more point that I realized I failed to mention in the other post. When working with "My Computer" (I am running XP Home), it will fine F:. But, when I go to F:, I find nothing, no folders, no files. Is this a further indication that a driver is missing?
Nah dont worry about downloading anything. Save your self the heartache and go with the card reader. Yes it just plugs into a USB port. It also has the advantage of not using your cameras battery while your uploading photos to pc. And with an 8 gig card, that would take some time.

Yes when you access f: drive two folders should be visible.

Also try what Raghu suggested to make sure you are saving to card. It should make much of a difference, they should still be accessed the same way, but it would be another uncertainty taken care of.

My Flickr

Joe Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:53 PM   #10

OK, ... wow, things are moving quickly here! Thanks for all the replies.

I've done a couple of things in the past few minutes, with some suggestions here.

First, I took out the memory card, put it in my old camera (Canon A1100). When the software for the Canon was activated, the FZ35 images were there, and downloaded, just as if they were shot off the Canon. So, I was able to get images off the card. That answered the question whether the images were on the memory card, or internal memory -- no question, they resided on the card.

Also, banging around another FZ35 thread here, I see somebody else asked about formatting the memory card. Taking their question, along with some answers, I found how to find the option on the camera; Menu --> Tools --> page 6, 4th item down.

I activated the format request. The process took a second or two. When I tried to bring up images, I was told there were none. So, the format successfully wiped off the couple of dozen images I had shot since getting the camera.

I shot a few pics so that something would reside on the memory card.

I made the PC/FZ35 connection again. First, I tried to access the camera through Windows, drive F:. I found nothing, no folder, no files.

Next, I fired up PHOTOfunStudio, and asked for the "copy to PC" option. I got the same message as before, "... unsupported media." This again is undoubtedly revealing the lack of a FZ35 driver. Actually, I think both failures probably reveal lack of FZ35 driver.

I do share the concern expressed by a post above -- repeated removal and insertion of the memory card may make it prone to failure. With my previous cameras, the card was never removed, excepting when it was "full" and I exchanged it for a new one. Is this concern a valid concern, or will these fragile cards handle repeated transfer from camera to reader, return, etc?

Thanks for all the help. Now, I'm beginning to get excited!