Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 28, 2003, 9:50 PM   #1

Default The FZ1 "modes"

Remember hearing about a "manual" on creative use of the FZ1 modes to simulate AP and SP.

Can anyone point me to this info?

Thanks,
Alex.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2003, 5:43 AM   #2

Why donīt you update the firmware to get the manuals options???
kokorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 7:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokorski
Why donīt you update the firmware to get the manuals options???
Because if you live in the US and wish to do it legally, you can't, unless you know someone that can purchase the firmware for you.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 1:16 PM   #4

Default Using FZ1 modes to manipulate A and S values.

I can't recall any recent post about it, but broadly it's about using portrait mode to get an open aperture, narrow DOF, and fast shutter speed. Panning mode does more or less the opposite. Sports mode ensures a fast enough shutter speed to stop most action, but as light levels go up, it begins to close the aperture to give a reasonable depth of field. If you're trying for narrow DOF in portrait mode in good light, you may need to use an ND filter to reduce the light and keep the aperture towards F2.8. Another (less publicised) way of getting a wide DOF in daylight is to use night portrait mode with the flash down. This forces F6.5, but you must use wide angle to ensure good focus from about 5m to infinity.
erasmus41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 6:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Because if you live in the US and wish to do it legally, you can't, unless you know someone that can purchase the firmware for you.
Sorry I donīt live in US, but Iīm enjoying with the new controls, in fact itīs a "new" camera...

By the way..... I wonder why Panasonic not distribute the firmware around the world??? I donīt understand it....
kokorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 7:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokorski
I wonder why Panasonic not distribute the firmware around the world??? I donīt understand it....
Many people are wondering the same thing and not understanding it.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 11:59 PM   #7

Default Panasonic's seeming dislike of the US -

It is odd that a business would treat a potential market the way Panasonic has treated the US re the FZ1, FZ2, the upgrade to the FZ1, and the FZ10.

Their attitude is one of the reasons why I did not buy the FZ1 or FZ10. In fact we now have a standing order in the company I work for (my son owns the company) that no Panasonic (Matsushita) equiment may be purchased if there is any other equipment which will do the job. (This is a medical lab, with a lot of optical equipment, mostly Olympus and Leica; some Nikon).

I do understand Panasonic (Matsushita) could care less about whether or not we buy their equipment - in fact that is the EXACT reason we do not.

Very strange. Of course the Japanese are famous for their "attitude" toward non-Japanese, but Canon and Olympus don't let it interfere with business that I can see...
Humble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 12:08 PM   #8

Default Re: Panasonic's seeming dislike of the US -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble
It is odd that a business would treat a potential market the way Panasonic has treated the US re the FZ1, FZ2, the upgrade to the FZ1, and the FZ10.

Their attitude is one of the reasons why I did not buy the FZ1 or FZ10.
I agree about the fact that Panasonic needs to treat the potential consumer and their present users much better. I purchased the FZ1 because the salesman (at a ** REAL ** camera store) was raving about it! I was going to buy an Olympus, which also cost more than the FZ1 and he convinced me to go with the FZ1 over the Olympus (because of the 12x optical stabilized zoom vs, 10x and not stabilized).

Regarding customer service issues from big companies, Best Buy's customer service stinks company wide and at the corporate level, but depending on the item I want, I'll still shop there.