Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:19 PM   #1

Default LX5 Indoor shots Help

Hi LX5 users

I am having trouple trying to get the LX5 to get good indoor shots without flash. I have tried the flash even turning it down to -2 is still to harsh for my taste. My main problem is blurr. I cannot seem to set the camera up to take low light fast enough to stop action. When i say low light I am in a house usually taking snaps of people with just table lamps on.
Any suggestions? I would like to take it with me to a new years party tonight but I will probably be to busy serving to get very many shots or even be able to try different settings.

Thanks
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:28 PM   #2

You need a flash to stop action/movement...bouncing the flash is the best alternative...hopefully Mark will pop in and give you some ideas...he is a Pro at it...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 2:13 PM   #3

LTZ-

Here are two good examples of bounce flash.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Sl...7_X5bCM-XL.jpg

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Sl...0_ubAMx-XL.jpg

Bounce flash minimizes harsh shadows and it can be used on any digital camera. It can likewise be used for children's photos. Just ask as I teach this stuff.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 2:22 PM   #4

popellis-

Please keep in mind that you can also use a diffuser to reduce flash harshness in your photo. Here is a good example of that for you.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Pa...5_uTQ7V-XL.jpg

That is a picture of me that my husband just took. I used a facial tissue to diffuse the flash. So there are two different ways of dealing with your problem complete with photo samples.

Now could we see a photo sample of the kind of photos that you are getting with your LX5 that you do not like. That would be a big help to us.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 31, 2010, 2:50 PM   #5

Default LX5 Bad examples

Well here is some samples all were in IA mode

The first is the grand sons or (grand dogs) without flash.

The second is the family with flash not bad I have had worse flash results

The third is at a different house with bad white balance which I did not notice until I viewed on computer screen. I have seen other LX5 shots at night with no flash that I thought were excellent. I just don't seem to be able toreproduce them.
Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2010, 3:30 PM   #6

popellis-

The last shot could be easily corrected in PP. The family shot is quite over exposed. The first photo shows motion blur, due to low shutter speed.

Firstly, I would suggest that you use the "P" or Programed Auto Mode. You will have more options in the "P" Mode.

yes, the LX5 can take photos indoors without flash under the proper lighting conditions. But using the built-in flash, or better yet an external Flash will allow you many more options that I have already posted about: that is bounce flash and diffused flash.

In my diffused flash shot, using the FZ40's built-in flash unit, the camera to subject distance was about 6 feet and the camera quenched the flash output nicely to obtain the proper exposure. Begin with a shot like that one using the "P" Mode, and begin developing your experience levels.

Your family shot was obviously at the 24mm wide angle position to include everyone. However, the noticeable over exposure seems to indicate that the IA mode was not working properly with the built-in flash unit.

You mentioned using Flash Compensation, probably about EV-0.7, should have handled that over exposure. Do you have a photo sample showing the Flash Compensation in use?

I feel that we have made a good start in solving this problem. Let's see if we can work things out together.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 31, 2010, 4:53 PM   #7

Sarah

Sorry I threw those pictures out if I get a minite I will try to get another flash shot.

Thank You

Maybe this will help with my FZ100 too