Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 1, 2011, 3:30 AM   #1

Default Have just bought a FZ38 - Advise please

Hi everyone.

I am new to the forum.

I have bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38, now, i just need to know how to use it properly to get the best out of it.

I really want to concentrate on horses and horse racing photos, and focus on that with my photography.

I am a beginner in terms of cameras, so i probably need to do a lot of reading on ISO, Aperture, etc... so if anyone has any good links, then that would be brilliant, and also the different results (with pictures if possible) that can be achieved by utilising different settings, etc...

Many thanks.
Katchit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2011, 3:46 AM   #2

Take a look at this post, and read mtclimber's instructions. It's the best....
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...g-fz-35-a.html
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2011, 3:57 AM   #3

Take a look in the Sports section - there's some advice there on photographing horse-riding.

From my limited experience of shooting my daughter's lessons with an FZ38, it's fine for anything up to a canter in decent light but anything faster than that and you're going to need a bright sunny day to get the shutter speed fast enough. Might be less of a problem for wide-shots but definitely a problem if you're zooming much.

ISO isn't too much of a problem in this situation I think as the texture on the horses hides the noise anyway but keep the aperture as wide as possible to get as much light as possible (f4.4 zoomed or f2.8 wide on the fZ38). What you really need to worry about is getting the shutter speed high so the horses aren't blurred so try the shutter priority mode.

Here's a quick one with the FZ38 of a walking horse at f4.4, 1/30s shutter which is on the slow side - I'd need faster if the horse was moving faster, ISO-400.

MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:19 AM   #4

Thank you to you both for the link, and the information.

I will have a read of the link, and also have a look in the Sports section!

Thanks again.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:45 AM   #5

Katchit-

Welcome to the Forum and to the Panasonic folder! I am the author of the FZ35 Beginner's Guide, and a teacher of digital cameras and Photoshop. I check this folder multiple times each day, so please do not hesitate to ask question and to post photos.

The nice thing about this folder is that it offers not only comradeship, but also very real help with your FZ38 camera. There are many in the folder with extensive photo experience, and who are always willing to lend a helping hand.

Happy New Year!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:48 AM   #6

Hi Sarah.

Thank you for the very nice post, and the welcome.

I am sure i will be asking many questions and also posting many questions!

Thanks again.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 8:42 PM   #7

Default Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Katchit-

Welcome to the Forum and to the Panasonic folder! I am the author of the FZ35 Beginner's Guide, and a teacher of digital cameras and Photoshop. I check this folder multiple times each day, so please do not hesitate to ask question and to post photos.

The nice thing about this folder is that it offers not only comradeship, but also very real help with your FZ38 camera. There are many in the folder with extensive photo experience, and who are always willing to lend a helping hand.

Happy New Year!

Sarah Joyce

Hi Sarah
I'm Andy from Scotland and I've just bought myself a Lumix FZ 38 ..to replace my five year old 5 MP Fuji 5600...I know nothing of cameras & photography and only ever used the auto setting . Several cameras have passed through my hands in the last 6 years ...but none beat the fuji for picture quality .. and I thought that I had found the perfect cam in the FZ38 ...but alas no. When I compare a full auto picture ,same settings pixels / taken at same spot,seconds apart ..the fuji is ten times better..it is sharper..it is brighter ...it is much more vivid and colourful ...Time and time again in comparison , my old fuji takes a better picture ...I am so disappointed as I thought I had found the perfect cam ( HD video, stereo sound etc ..18 X zoom etc ) ..but all this is no good if I can't get the stunning pics on auto that my old fuji delivers ...I call them " wow" pics , and as yet the Panasonic only delivers good pics ...What am I doing wrong Sarah, and should I just give up and use my fuji till it dies.?
Andy ...
Dabandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:51 AM   #8

The same with me compairing fz38 with my old 4mp Olympus uz c750. Olympus is one step ahaid. Still does not make sense to me. But still again fz38 is capable of very good results...
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote