Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:58 PM   #1

Default New FZ100 User

I just got my FZ100 for Christmas, and unfortunately have not had a chance to use it yet. After opening the box and turning the camera on, I noticed a black spot on the LCD AND EVF. The spot was NOT on the screens while in the menu modes. It would also showed up on pictures. It kind of looked like some dust had gotten on the lens inside the camera. I cleaned the outside lens many times, but to no prevail. So, it had to be shipped back to Panasonic 1 day after getting it. I am currently waiting on a new one to be delivered to the house (tomorrow Jan 5th). But in the mean time I am currently reading and trying to absorb as much information about using this great camera. I know I will have many questions as I get deep into this camera and its many options. My first question is when you are not using your camera, do you store it with the battery inside the camera or remove the battery? Didn't know if the battery would become weaker by remaining in the camera over time or not.

Thanks in advance,
Da Wolf
Da Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2011, 1:26 PM   #2

Really sorry to hear about your first camera - sounds like a faulty sensor.

As for the battery, like any rechargeable battery, it will slowly discharge over time in or out of the camera. I don't think it makes any difference. However, if you are storing the camera for a long time (weeks, months), I think it is always a good idea to remove the battery.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:24 PM   #3

Did you buy it brand new? Which store did you get it from?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:31 PM   #4

Yes I did get it brand new. It was given to me as a Christmas present, and it was bought from Amazon.com. I called Panasonic up and told them the issue. They replaced my camera with no questions asked. The new camera is to be delivered today.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:33 PM   #5

Da Wolf-

I am delighted to hear that a solution has been worked out and that you will be receiving the new camera quickly.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 5:48 PM   #6

Well got the camera from UPS, and come to find out they send me a refurbished camera (which I am not happy about cause I NEVER got to use my new camera). And to make it worse what kind of freaking idiot sends a digital camera WITHOUT a battery and battery charger. The operator said they will send me the battery and charger, and I said that they better send it overnight for Friday delivery as I am heading to Canada on Tuesday. Operator then said she can send it 3-day on Friday, which puts it here on Tuesday (at the earliest), but more than likely Wednesday. I told her to either send the battery overnight for Friday delivery or they will get their camera back, and I and everyone I know will NEVER buy another Panasonic product EVER. Needless to say I am NOT a happy camper with Panasonic right now, and will probably never buy another product from them because of this crap.

Da Wolf

Last edited by Da Wolf; Jan 5, 2011 at 5:59 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Wolf View Post
Well got the camera from UPS, and come to find out they send me a refurbished camera (which I am not happy about cause I NEVER got to use my new camera). And to make it worse what kind of freaking idiot sends a digital camera WITHOUT a battery and battery charger. The operator said they will send me the battery and charger, and I said that they better send it overnight for Friday delivery as I am heading to Canada on Tuesday. Operator then said she can send it 3-day on Friday, which puts it here on Tuesday (at the earliest), but more than likely Wednesday. I told her to either send the battery overnight for Friday delivery or they will get their camera back, and I and everyone I know will NEVER buy another Panasonic product EVER. Needless to say I am NOT a happy camper with Panasonic right now, and will probably never buy another product from them because of this crap.

Da Wolf

I'm really surprised (and disappointed) to hear that Panasonic did this to you. You should not have gotten a refurbished camera, in my opinion. You got a defective, new unit and you should get a brand new replacement.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:21 PM   #8

So if anyone knows anyone that works at Panasonic so I can complain to them in hopes of getting a new camera let me know.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:40 PM   #9

If it came from Amazon, and you contacted them to replace it as defective, they'd have fallen all over themselves to replace it quickly with a NEW one. Amazon has fantastic customer service. In fact, if you ever need to talk to them- you go to the help/contact us tab- put in the phone number you want THEM to call YOU at, select "now" or "in 5 minutes"... if you select "now", your phone will ring in approximately FIVE seconds at the most!!! I've had to return a few things, and NEVER had anything but fabulous customer service!
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:05 PM   #10

Yeah, I should have returned it to Amazon. I thought about doing it, and figured that they would have instructed me to send it to Panasonic since it is defective from the manufacturer and not something that happened on their end.

I have emailed Panasonic directly (instead of dealing with their "replacement warehouse") about this situation to see what they have to say about it.