Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 4, 2011, 2:54 PM   #1

Default Bracketing pros and cons?

Would i be edging my bets by using bracketing to get better shots? I am still trying to learn so thought i would ask.
Been reading but that's not the problem, retaining the info is a problem.
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2011, 2:58 PM   #2

I went that route for a while but the effort of sorting thru and culling was way too much. now, if there's an important picture i want to turn out for sure, i'll take a few at various exposures. unless i'm planning on hdr, i won't bracket.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:05 PM   #3

Thanks Frank, i agree about going through all the photos, it is a chore i agree but i would love to get some good clear shots and i am just not managing it so thought it might work if i bracketed. If only i could remember things better, lol.
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:09 PM   #4

Since making work won't help much, and i don't know what "good clear shots" means, do some bracketting. pick your time and in a situation where you're usually unhappy with the results, pause a bit. take some shots underexposed, over, bracketted from a tripod, different white balance, wide open with a quick shutter, stopped down with a slow shutter.

just vary what you normally do. see what works out for you. post one or two for c&c. if you suggest what bothers you about them, others may be able to assist.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:14 PM   #5

i mean really crisp sharp photos. I see some wonderful photos on here and just say 'WOW, one day.'
I do keep playing around with settings and if i get anything decent i will post.
Thanks Frank
E.

Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:15 PM   #6

E-

Macro shots are not that challenging. Perhaps we ought to discuss technique first. That seems to me to be the appropriate beginning.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:16 PM   #7

Thank Sarah, please feel free as i know it will benifit others too. E

Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
i mean really crisp sharp photos. I see some wonderful photos on here and just say 'WOW, one day.'
One thing to keep in mind is that seldom a posted image comes right out of the camera. Most people will manipulate the image some, either by adjusting contrast, changing saturation, increasing sharpness or whatever else they feel like they must do to improve IQ to their liking. So, although you may get some pretty good shots straight from the camera, in order to get the wow effect you most likely will have to do some post processing.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:48 PM   #9

Thanks Tullio, I will remember that and if i get anything decent i will try that.

Old Jan 5, 2011, 5:18 PM   #10

durning time of tricky lighting like sunset, a ev bracket is a very very useful tool. I would not ev bracket everything, that adds up to a ton of photos to go through.