Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:32 AM   #21

They almost look like watercolors!!!
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:46 AM   #22
csa

Wes, what is the info (EXIF) on these photos? They are extremely grainy, or "noisy". Also, how much did you "blow them up"?
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:50 AM   #23

I'm pretty sure you are in digital zoom mode. Stay away from that, the image quality is garbage in that mode.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:59 PM   #24
csa

Saly; didn't I read somewhere here, that the "digital zoom" can be disabled? Can you refresh our memories on how that's done?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:06 PM   #25

Carol, yes you can turn in off in the mode menu (at least with the FZ35), but I prefer to keep it on, just in case I have a "oh my gosh, is that a bear on that ridge?" moment... There may be an instant when you want to capture an image regardless of poor quality. I just make sure I don't get into the digital zoom region (anything over 18x with the FZ35).
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:18 PM   #26
csa

Thanks! very good advice!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:20 PM   #27

I think Saly is right Wes -it looks like digital zoom - and if you "crop" a digital zoom picture it's going to look worse.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:01 PM   #28

Saly/Clint- Digital Zoom can be turned off on page 4 of the REC menu, top item... (Yes- I'm learning my way around the menu's!!) and I turned it off when I first got the camera- so these pic's were taken at the full 24x optical zoom, no digital zoom.
I displayed them at full resolution on my computer- 100%, then took a crop out of the middle of that.
Carol- these pictures were shot in Program mode at ISO 100, shutter was from 1/500 to 1/800, aperture f/5.6.
Contrast +1
Sharpness +2
Saturation 0
N/R -1...
I still can't view EXIF data on my computer.. (Image Expert won't display it) and didn't have time at lunch to download one of the suggested programs to display EXIF data.
Wes

Last edited by Wes James; Jan 6, 2011 at 2:08 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:07 PM   #29

I haven't had/taken the time yet to study what each one of the picture quality settings (contrast/sharpness/saturation/noise reduction) actually do, and how they impact the actual image... and how lighting affects these settings. I did take the recommendation of ordering the book on "Exposures" that was recommended here somewhere yesterday... and I guess I should break out the disc that came with the camera- and see what the full instructions on CD-ROM have to say... I just wasn't wanting to open up anything I didn't need to in case I needed to/decided to send it back.
Wes
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:43 PM   #30

Wes - you mentioned earlier that you still couldn't copy the pictures from the FZ40. When you plug in the USB your PC should recognized it (are you using Windows?).

After you put the card in the Canon what software "imports" the pictures? It's a "long shot" but that might affect the pictures.

Here are settings that LTZ470 uses - and he gets great pictures with the FZ40.

AWB 3 clicks to Blue and Green
Contrast 0
Sharp +2
Saturation -1
NR -2

I displayed them at full resolution on my computer- 100%, then took a crop out of the middle of that.

If you are doing the above - that sounds like you are really magnifying any noise or imperfection. How does the picture look in a "normal viewing" on your PC?

You also say you can't see the EXIF data. If you are in Windows Explorer and do a right mouse click a panel should pop - look towards the bottom and select "Properties".
Another window pops up with 4 tabs at the top - select Details and that should also allow you to see EXIF data.

Two very good viewers are Faststone and Zoner.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

http://free.zoner.com/

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote