Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:49 PM   #31

+1 for Faststone, great free viewer & very good for resizing images.
joe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:59 PM   #32

Wes - here's what I mean by cropping and viewing.

When I start "cropping" and looking closer - the imperfections are magnified.

I have a 28" HannsG monitor and when my FZ40 pictures fill the screen the look sharp and clear. The "print" size would be about 14" by 23".

So if I were to print and 8 by 10 they would look great.

That first shot on my PC looks sharp and crisp.
Attached Images

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:03 PM   #33
csa

"You also say you can't see the EXIF data. If you are in Windows Explorer and do a right mouse click a panel should pop - look towards the bottom and select "Properties".
Another window pops up with 4 tabs at the top - select Details and that should also allow you to see EXIF data."

Indeed it does! Didn't know that, thanks!
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:06 PM   #34

Wes - you mentioned earlier that you still couldn't copy the pictures from the FZ40. When you plug in the USB your PC should recognized it (are you using Windows?).

After you put the card in the Canon what software "imports" the pictures? It's a "long shot" but that might affect the pictures.

Clint- I put my pic's on the computer by simply pulling the SDHC card out and popping it into the card reader on my computer, then opening up "Image Expert" and import the pic's from the card. I need to start downloading directly off the camera, I know- no need to pull the card... it's just the way I've always done it in the past. Time to move on.... A better way to do it, I agree. Image Expert is a Dell photo program that I've just always used....

Here are settings that LTZ470 uses - and he gets great pictures with the FZ40.

AWB 3 clicks to Blue and Green
Contrast 0
Sharp +2
Saturation -1
NR -2

I'll have to look at the AWB settings, and experiment with them. I haven't gotten that far yet. I know he's an absolute genius with this camera!!

I displayed them at full resolution on my computer- 100%, then took a crop out of the middle of that.

If you are doing the above - that sounds like you are really magnifying any noise or imperfection. How does the picture look in a "normal viewing" on your PC?

Obviously, the pictures look better... I took some comparison shots this afternoon of the fence out my backdoor with this camera- and also my S200EXR... will compare them when I get home. Looking at them on the camera, they don't look that much different. I'll see when I get home to my computer.

You also say you can't see the EXIF data. If you are in Windows Explorer

.... I'm not... I'm in Image Expert.... and the pictures are in folders.. it opens similarly to Explorer, but it's not.

and do a right mouse click a panel should pop - look towards the bottom and select "Properties".
Another window pops up with 4 tabs at the top - select Details and that should also allow you to see EXIF data.

Yeah, I know that I should be able to do that, but when I right click on an image in Image Explorer, there is no "properties" that pop's up... I tried it today. I intend to put one of the EXIF programs on my computer, I had posted a question about this very issue seperately in a different thread here today.
Thanks for all your time and input... I greatly appreciate it!
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:06 PM   #35

If you use Faststone viewer you can just move the cursor to the right on the pictures and the EXIF data will appear. It's a lot handier than Windows Explorer/

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:11 PM   #36

I'll have to look at the AWB settings, and experiment with them. I haven't gotten that far yet. I know he's an absolute genius with this camera!!

Clint- and others... PLEASE do not take it that I meant you or others were any less an expert with this series of camera than LTZ470... that is MOST CERTAINLY not what I meant!! Obviously, from the pic's on this page, you and many others here are super with it as well!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:15 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa View Post
"You also say you can't see the EXIF data. If you are in Windows Explorer and do a right mouse click a panel should pop - look towards the bottom and select "Properties".
Another window pops up with 4 tabs at the top - select Details and that should also allow you to see EXIF data."

Indeed it does! Didn't know that, thanks!
Not in my Internet Explorer. I only get one tab under properties. Do I need an add-on? I added an add-on (redundant!) to my Firefox and I can see limited EXIF.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:20 PM   #38

Clint- I can certainly say that my pic's don't look that good!!! Of course, I don't have a monitor like that, either!!! Just a generic old 20" LCD...
Wes
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:29 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
Not in my Internet Explorer. I only get one tab under properties. Do I need an add-on? I added an add-on (redundant!) to my Firefox and I can see limited EXIF.
Properties > Summary > Advanced.
joe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:51 PM   #40

Took some shots with the latest settings you listed, Clint- and they looked quite a bit better... the addition of Blue/Green in the AWB helped quite a bit, I think- as far as overall appearance. This was just of some things on the other side of the ramp here at the airfield.... a ship, some colorful USDA-approved dumpsters, McDonalds.... a car- stuff like that. No flowers or butterflies here to take pic's of~ :-(
Wes