Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:04 PM   #1

Default About to purchase FZ45, need reassurance

Hi, after alot of comparing pictures and reading reviews and peoples comments, I have decided I would like a FZ45. I am pretty much a beginner (blush), but am hoping this is a good place to start.

I have seen some really lovely photos that people have posted and am so hoping that I will be able to achieve similar results.

I am interested in nature photography and was wondering if the camera will be able to take the sort of close up butterfly and bird pictures that I have seen on here straight from the box?

I have read about people using telephoto convertors and macro lenses, can anyone please tell me what these are and if they will be needed.

Thanks in advance
Sevka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:41 PM   #2

Default Welcome!

Sevka-
Welcome to the forum! I'm one of the newest members here other than you~ *s* I just got my FZ40 this week, and am learning my around with it here. There are some super experts on the FZ series of cameras here and some of them are in the process of coaching me right now through learning the ins and outs of the camera.
I think it's kind of hard to go wrong with any of these cameras that are out there today- I did a lot of studying of cameras before purchasing my FZ40, and ended up with it- but it could have been any one of several cameras. I'm not totally new to photography, but I've never worked to try to become somewhat good at it- and I'm most definitely not a natural!! Listen to what the experts here tell you- and don't be afraid to ask questions. I've tried another forum's camera section, and it's pretty inactive. You won't usually have to wait long for an answer here.
I'm into nature photography myself, have a digiscoping setup- but am more interested in being able to shoot with just a camera.
The closeups you see of bugs and so forth are usually shot with a close up lens... This gives a magnification effect to the camera lens. I have one I intend to use with my camera, the Panasonic CMW-LC55- which uses a tubular adaptor to attach to the camera, the Panaasonic DMW-LA5 once I learn to use it without.
A tripod is a good investment to go with your camera... or at least a monopod. Helps provide a steady footing for the camera. You can't necessairly count on the image stabilization alone to always give you a sharp picture.
Good luck- and I'll shut up and let the experts here advise you on your camera choice!!
Again, welcome.
Wes

Last edited by Wes James; Jan 5, 2011 at 12:46 PM.
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:41 PM   #3

Hi sevka,

Dont ever worry abt this camera,its worthy every penny.

i am complete noob in photography and i was able to achieve good result in my first shoot

see this link:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-new-fz40.html

All u have to do is

1.Understand the functional of the camera So,read the manual completely first

2.Understand Photography So,better read this book
Understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson
3.Take number of photos of a given subject until u get the right shot,
try different modes like P,M modes try to ignore iA mode .
Once u get the right shot now try to compare the EXIF data of the
subject

4.Lastly,Understand ur post processing techniques,ie abt ur
light room,photo shop
there are good books by Scott Kelby.
Shutter_priority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:42 PM   #4

Sevka-

Welcome to the Forum. We are delighted to have you join us.

Please be aware that the FZ40/45 will NOT right out of the box take some of the close-up shots that you have seen in this forum. Some of those ultra close photos were taken using the LA5 lens adapter and the LC55 close up lens, which are accessory items.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:50 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies and all the information
Im really looking forward to learning as much as I can and taking the best pictures that I can but the amount of information can be a bit overwhelming!

I will take the advice and read the manual and books too and cant wait to start taking pictures!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:55 PM   #6

Ah thanks Sarah, I will have a play around with the camera and get used to it abit and then maybe invest in the lens and adaptor as I would so like to achieve those close up shots
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:24 PM   #7

Sevka,

The members on here who have taken the most striking macro shots have used add-on lenses, but the fz40 can do pretty good macro shots out-of-the-box and would make a great starting point.

I second the recommendation of the "Understanding Exposure" book - really helpful.

I don't have any add-on lenses, nor have I done much macro photography, but here's a shot of a small butterfly to give you an idea of what the camera can do.
Attached Images

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:13 PM   #8

@BackyardPermaculture,

that photo looks really Awesome
Shutter_priority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter_priority View Post
@BackyardPermaculture,

that photo looks really Awesome
I totally agree, and hope that I will be able to achieve similar results.

Its nice to know there are nice, friendly people on here that are willing to share their knowledge and dont mind people asking questions