Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:32 AM   #21

Thanks for the comments folks, certainly a case of right place, right time for those ship photos.
Bumblebee65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:25 AM   #22

jlc-

Blurring the background in a photo is a feature more usual in DSLR cameras. In a P+S camera like the FZ40 you really have to work at it a bit.

You see that blurred background most often when using the macro mode, a numerically low aperture, and when the background is at least 6 to 8 feet behind your subject. Actually the further the background is from your subject the better.

Alternatively, you can also produce the effect in Photoshop Elements and the CS series of software.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:59 PM   #23

Hi Thanks Sarah

Does this mean then that I'm not going to be able to achieve a blurred background on a shot at a Person using this camera, I thought at first it was possible by setting the FZ40. Sorry, I dont know how to upload images yet. But I'm still learning my way to this P&S camera, but I already shot a few hundreds of photos last Christmas and New Year when I got the camera.

I actually have tried it in Macro mode and was successful at it previously.

Another quetion would be at times when I shoot and view the pics 100% It seems that my shots were a little bit grainy, when magnified? Is this quite normal? Or is this a rookie mistake in the settings?

Anyway, thanks
jlc_photostudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:06 PM   #24

jlc-

As I posted previously, a blurred background is possible with the FZ40 under the conditions noted, but it is much harder to accomplish than when using a DSLR camera.

A blurred background is also easily achieved during post processing.

Anytime you reach 100% enlargement you are at the individual pixel level and grain is commonly seen. Thus it is quite normal.

Sarah joyce
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:36 PM   #25

Thanks Sarah,,,for the FZ 40 guide,,,you helped me yesterday,choose the FZ 40,,,on DP Ronnie H,,,,,,Ron...I will copy & print the guide
Spirit Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:19 PM   #26

You are very welcome, Ron

I thought that might be you. As you know I answered your post over on DPR. You have lots of good experience from using the FZ30. So please make yourself comfortable, there are lots of FZ40 users here, and post some photo when you can.

I am a digital camera instructor teaching for our state university and the local Community College as well. I check in multiple times each day when not teaching. Its nice to have you on board.

Here is a no flash indoor photo from this morning of my husband. Since my FZ40 is new also I wanted to see what ISO 400 photos looked like. All in all, the photo is not as good as ISO 80, but still very usable.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:00 PM   #27

No Flash & ISO 400 is not that bad,,,Ron