Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger53 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Saly, that is what I'm seeking. I understand the point focus, center metering. I think these are all settings on my camera. But, I don't see any settings for sharpness, contrast, saturation, or noise.

I tried more shots this morning, but did not end up with any of them worthy of keeping.

I will try some more settings to see if something can be improved. Maybe this camera is beyond my capability. This is disheartening, as I had spent more than six months in search, before finally making a decision for an FZ35.
Roger - the image adjustments are under the PICT ADJ menu. Although this won't help your focusing. Looking at your shots, I notice that the green part of the feeder is more focused than the bird. I think your camera isn't focusing on the bird so make sure it is before fully depressing the shutter. Also, your camera appears to be shaking, where the entire image is blurred. Make sure you are bracing your camera on something solid. I also rarely get great, focused shots in full zoom, particularly if it's cloudy or if the subject is in the shade. This is about the best i can do in full zoom (notice it's sunny - available light makes a HUGE difference with this camera):

saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:09 AM   #12

Roger, what was your ISO setting and shutter speed?

The FZ35 can get great closeups.
You can find many more pictures here on the site.

ISO of 80 to 100 is best for the sharpest picture. Good bright sunlight and a fast shutter speed also prevent blur. Also good "technique" of holding the camera steady while taking pictures helps a lot.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:17 AM   #13

Nice, Clint.....are these straight macro mode, no LC55?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
Nice, Clint.....are these straight macro mode, no LC55?
I don't remember Saly it's been so long since I took the pictures.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:48 PM   #15

Saly, were you centre weighted and focused on the bird and in P mode?
Clint, lovely shots, i will be a very happy puppy if and when i can get shots as clear as those.
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Saly, were you centre weighted and focused on the bird and in P mode?
Clint, lovely shots, i will be a very happy puppy if and when i can get shots as clear as those.
E.
e - yes, I was in P. I'm usually always in P, occasionally use A if I want to play with depth of field (fuzzier or clearer background).
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:31 PM   #17

OK, I tried some more bird shots today. Conditions were a mixed bag. Sun was out, but snow the past couple of days made for harsh white in the background. Sky was very bright. However, feeder is in the shade, feeder is black and is loaded with black sunflower seeds. The exposure was hard to tune. In some cases, the image was badly overexposed, in other cases, underexposed. I tried some EC of -1/3, -2/3, 0, + 1/3. I'm not sure this was helpful. Shots were on A, with auto ISO control. All these were handheld.

I've included some of the better shots, and others that are not very good. Those worse than "not very good" were deleted. The day was cold, and I couldn't stand outside very long before getting numb fingers. The background isn't very good (suet feeder in some cases), but my other choice was bright blue sky with limited trees. In this position, exposure was very difficult -- background way to bright, with dark feeder, and in the shade. None of those made it through the first edits.

The first one is of the suet feeder, with no birds. I shot this to confirm sharp image with time to shoot, steady camera, etc.

I'll upload about 15 images, just for a variety. Perhaps somebody can spot a pattern that would improve making these images.

BTW, we think the birds are American Finches, but am not sure.

Thanks.

Well, several attempts to upload have failed. I am unsure why. I will try again later. For my information, is there a way to upload images out of a Picasa tray?
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:17 AM   #18

roger - I'm going to refer you to one of my old posts where Clint patiently walked me through the process of posting from Picasa. It's a multiple page post, but if you look through it you will find the part about Picasa.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...35-photos.html
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:28 AM   #19

Roger, be patient, even after those first two attempts with your NEW camera I can already see the improvment... Like anything new their is always a learning curve.....
Attached Images

geofftay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:30 AM   #20

Saly.... Those bird images are fantastic...
geofftay2 is offline   Reply With Quote