Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 9, 2011, 4:06 AM   #1

Default Reg.ISO settings in FZ35

Hi friends..!
I have taken few pictures today in Apparture Priority mode with setting ISO @ 100.During the photo shoot , i found that there are one picture taken with ISO 125, f4.4 and shutter speed 1/400,within split seconds another image was taken @ISO 100, f6.3 shutter speed 1/400,even though i have kept ISO @100 why camera chose ISO 125 for the image..! is this normal as there is no iso setting at iso 125, or there is something wrong with my settings..? posted both the image here for your comment and guidance please..?
My second Question about the advanced AWB setting of green- blue horizental and vertical line, how it can be used for different situation ..any comment please..!searched in adv.manual in vain. thanks again..

1.ISO 125 f4.4 s.speed:1/400

Name:  test-2 016.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  44.0 KB
2.?ISO 100 F6.3 s.speed 1/400

Name:  test-2 018.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  49.5 KB
thanks friends..have a enjoyable sunday..!!

Last edited by jim007; Jan 9, 2011 at 6:43 AM.
jim007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:35 AM   #2

Not sure why the ISO changed but nice action shot of the bee!

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:00 AM   #3

I would expect the camera is choosing different ISO's because of different lighting and contrast. It's normal for the camera to do that when set in Auto ISO.
The second picture has a much darker background and a few more shadows so I suppose the camera is "compensating" for what it "sees".

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:42 AM   #4

Clint is exactly correct-

Just changing the angle slightly between the camera and the subject will have the camera "re-evaluating the photo environment" and delivering a somewhat different exposure.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:51 AM   #5

camera's ISO was fixed at 100,not kept on "auto" , that made me little confused, perhaps there is no option to set ISO @ 125 and as general rounding system of nearer ISO was followed in that case as next ISO number is i think 160 perhaps..?
jim007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:24 PM   #6

There was one time when my FZ35 did what you describe Jim. I figure it was some kind of software glitch as it has never happened again. I was shooting either Manual or Shutter Priority at the time.

Steve Spitzer
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:37 PM   #7

jim-

I tried to duplicate the error described with my FZ40 and in 10 attempts, I was unable to duplicate it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 4:17 PM   #8

Jim whatever the camera did the photos have come out great and that is the important thing i think.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim007 View Post
camera's ISO was fixed at 100,not kept on "auto" , that made me little confused, perhaps there is no option to set ISO @ 125 and as general rounding system of nearer ISO was followed in that case as next ISO number is i think 160 perhaps..?
The camera has three different ISO settings: Intelligent ISO (iISO), which can be set ON/OFF; Sensitivity, which allows you to set the ISO value to a specific number (this only works IF iISO is set to OFF. If iISO is set to ON, then it does not matter what value you have set in Sensitivity); and the third is ISO Limit Set, which allows you to set the maximum ISO the camera can choose when Sensitivity is set to AUTO or iISO is set to ON.

If you set iISO to OFF and sensitivity to AUTO, the camera will increase/decrease the ISO value in full numbers (i.e. 100, 200, 400, 800, etc.) until it reaches the limit specified in the ISO limit. However, if you use iISO, the camera will ignore whatever you set in Sensitivity and will increment the ISO AS NEEDED, so instead of going from say 200 to 400, the camera may go 250 or 320 depending on the lighting condition.

The fact that you got ISO 125 it indicates that iISO is turned ON. If you want to set the ISO to a fixed value (100 in this case), turn iISO OFF and then set the Sensitivity to 100. You can still cap the ISO if you wish.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post

The fact that you got ISO 125 it indicates that iISO is turned ON. If you want to set the ISO to a fixed value (100 in this case), turn iISO OFF and then set the Sensitivity to 100. You can still cap the ISO if you wish.
Except, this happened to me once, and I was shooting in either Shutter Priority or Manual, and Intelligent ISO does not apply to those settings.

Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote