Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:36 PM   #1

Default FZ35 in St. Louis at 3 degrees!!!

Sometime I have to question my sanity. 3 degrees at 6:15 in the morning and I find myself on the Eads bridge turning into a human icecube, waiting for the magic light. Want to know what goes through the human mind when you are freezing? I could have been in my warm bed sleeping like most normal human beings. Or, you know Hell is not looking to bad right now.

All of these photographs are study HDR's. Made from normal JPEGS that provide guidance material to the RAW photos. I always like to see the way JPEGS look, because there is a lot of tricks Panasonic uses. Then I will try to match the areas that I like with RAW. Like I said before, these are just initial HDR's made from normal JPEGS. The settings are all the same in Photomatix. I start off with the mid setting. When the final HDR's are done there will be a lot of changes. I was going to shoot the same scenes with my DSLR, so you could compare, but sorry folks it was way toooo cold. Take my word for it, there is not much difference after my test phase was done. Anyone you wants to see the way my photos turn out, Iam Dream-Echoes at flickr. On the Pan, you will see one side is darker then the other. This was done on purpose to show me the stitch line and the corrections required. They may appear soft, but I do not or will not try to make a small 228KB look nice. These images will be on another web site in full resolution at a later date. All you are seeing here is what I start off with. FZ35 settings, F4 aperture, base ISO = 80. -1 noise and I revised the sharpness setting to 0. I use focus magic to sharpen my photos, which does a better job then a unsharp mask....

Name:  Panorama 1.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  94.7 KB

Name:  119And4more_tonemapped cur.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  183.5 KB

Name:  063_4_5_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  167.9 KB

Name:  054_5_6_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  127.3 KB

Last edited by Ancientritual; Jan 9, 2011 at 11:52 PM.
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:54 AM   #2

Wild pictures!! I like them a lot. I have just downloaded Photomatix, and am looking forward to working with it. You've got some great shots here!
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:17 AM   #3

Wow, you're keen being out there in those temps! Great results; I like number two - seems like a good use of HDR when you have windows like that.

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:55 AM   #4

Love the pics. How are they at larger sizes? (i.e. HD res)
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Love the pics. How are they at larger sizes? (i.e. HD res)
Once they are all done, I will be able to make 11x14 or 16x20 prints with no problem. Like I said, all of these photos are rough around the edges in this stage. The St. Louis and church scene will require far more HDR's at different settings to control lights and bring out more detail. Low and Min settings serve there purpose. Both settings control highlighs and bring out detail in shadows. Then all you do is make a masking layer and paint them in. These test HDR's are TIFFS on my computer, so they look far better in hi res then the 168KB -way to big photos on this site. Plus I do not take the time to correct them after being reduced to almost nothing.
When I resize them, they are in the 800 to 700KB range, after being uploaded on this site, they are reduced to around 228KB or below. Strange, or maybe I just forgot how to upload on this site....

Last edited by Ancientritual; Jan 10, 2011 at 7:51 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackyardPermaculture View Post
Wow, you're keen being out there in those temps! Great results; I like number two - seems like a good use of HDR when you have windows like that.
HDR's do have a purpose. The lights and windows will look far better on photos 1 and 2 once everything is done. I will settle in a overall setting and go from there. Lights and widows look better at the low and min setting on photomatix. Then all you do is make a masking layer and paint them into the overall settting, which will either be Mid or high....

Last edited by Ancientritual; Jan 10, 2011 at 7:46 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:43 AM   #7

Very nice!
Cherokee Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:10 AM   #8

By the way, at extreme conditions like yesterday morning, the FZ35 did an excellent job. From 6:00 AM to 11:15 AM it was exposed to weather that is in the process of freezing the mighty Mississippi river into a large muddy icecube. The only time the camera found warmth was when I was in the church for fifteen minutes. Battery still showed full after 175 exposures and the camera was telling mother nature to bring it on. I on the other hand had major issues. Legs and feet felt like I was walking on 2x4's and making errors trying to adjust settings in the menu with gloves on my hands....
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:53 AM   #9

Ancient, how many JPEGs were used for each HDR?
Cherokee Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:04 AM   #10

Those are really nice, and your dedication to the world of photography has not gone unnoticed......
Attached Images

geofftay2 is offline   Reply With Quote