Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:27 PM   #1

Default FZ38 - High ISO / Slow shutter speeds in iA mode

Hi everyone,

I have a Panasonic FZ38 since May 2010. Before that i had a TZ-5 which gave me amazing pictures, even at high (10x) zoom. Always sharp, never a problem. 90% of all pics were great.

Th FZ38 is giving me problems though, especially when shooting in iA or P mode. For instance, yesterday I shot some pictures in broad daylighti iA mode. The camera set the aperture at 3.7, shutter speed at 1/60th and ISO at 200. In my view shutter speed should be around 1/250th and ISO at 80 when taking pics in full daylight (it was sunny).

It happens all the time when I use iA or P mode. The only way to get decent pics is to fix the shutter speed in "S" mode. Or I have to set everything in Manual.

I am not a novice to photography, I have read the manual in detail, I even read (and I understand them I think) books on photography. This however is driving me crazy. Has anyone experienced the same with a FZ35/38? Or am I doing something wrong?

I hope anyone in this blog (which is a great blog, far better han anything I've found in The Netherlands) can help out. Thanks in advance,
Niek
Niek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:01 AM   #2

What about the results of those settings? Are the photographs any good?
I have the same camera and I consider myself having the same experiance as you, but the only way to have good photographs is to spend at least 5 minits on each photograph with post proccessing (that is 300 photographs X 5 min equals 1500min or about 25 hours post procc after a weekend session...
Before fz38 I had Olympus uz750 with very good results 90 per cent...
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:34 AM   #3

Niek

Use manual mode where u can set aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focus etc manually.

DO more n more use of this cam n try new settings - u can get best results frm this cam !!!
valentino2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:55 AM   #4

Can you post some sample photos? I never shoot in iA mode, but usually in P. If it's sunny, I usually set ISO to 80 or 100, and the camera would typically select 1/250 to 1/500. If it's a sunny day, you shouldn't need heavy post processing. The FZs only suffer under low light conditions.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niek View Post
I shot some pictures in broad daylighti iA mode. The camera set the aperture at 3.7, shutter speed at 1/60th and ISO at 200.
Niek - something doesn't jive. Did you actually take a photo with those settings? Was the shot overexposed? Did you perhaps have some exposure compensation set? Those settings seem appropriate for shade, not broad daylight
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Niek - something doesn't jive. Did you actually take a photo with those settings? Was the shot overexposed? Did you perhaps have some exposure compensation set? Those settings seem appropriate for shade, not broad daylight
That's what I'm thinking....I want to see a sample image with EXIF data.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:40 PM   #7

Hi Sali, John G.

Apologies for replying late, it's beem along working day here.

Anyway, I've enclosed a very small excerpt from the 4000x3000 picture which I shot on Sunday (apparently I can't upload large files). The overall shot appears a bit overexposed, the sky was definitely a lighter shade of grey than what I can remember (it doesn;t show on the excerpt - sorry).

Perhaps it's got something to do with the white balance? When I'm shooting pictures in a shady environment, ISO goes up to 800 and shutter time goes down to 1/8th (or to 1/30th if I use the flash, which is really a poor performance).

Regards
Niek
Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niek View Post
Hi Sali, John G.

Apologies for replying late, it's beem along working day here.

Anyway, I've enclosed a very small excerpt from the 4000x3000 picture which I shot on Sunday (apparently I can't upload large files). The overall shot appears a bit overexposed, the sky was definitely a lighter shade of grey than what I can remember (it doesn;t show on the excerpt - sorry).

Perhaps it's got something to do with the white balance? When I'm shooting pictures in a shady environment, ISO goes up to 800 and shutter time goes down to 1/8th (or to 1/30th if I use the flash, which is really a poor performance).

Regards
Niek
Can you pull out the EXIF data? If you are on a PC, you should be able to right click on the image, then select Properties/Summary/Advanced. We may be able to see exactly what your camera was trying to do.....(or maybe not)
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:34 PM   #9

Reset to factory settings - something's not right there. If you can get good results in S or M mode then the camera's probably fine and it's something you've set wrong in the other modes.

Last edited by MartinSykes; Jan 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:09 PM   #10

Is this the EXIF data you refer to (I translated it from Dutch)?

Color type: RGB
Color profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1
f-stop: 3,7
depth of field: 40,5
shutter speed: 1/60th