Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:21 PM   #1

Default Panasonic FZ100

I'm looking to purchase the Panasonic FZ100. I've been looking for the last month or so and it come down to 2 cameras.

Pansonic FZ100
or
Canon SX30 IS.

From all the reviews I've read the pro's of the FZ100 are slightly better image quality, 1080HD video, better features and up to 11 frames per second image captures.

Plus side on the Canon are larger focal range and slightly wider angle lens.

I'm usually a Nikon camera use and own a D300 DSLR with various lenses but want a camera to take out on family days out without having to lug around 20kg of camera equipement and still be able to take a really decent image and or video. I don't really like the reviews on the P100 so been considering the two cameras I've listed.

I think the FZ100 is going to more than match my expectations for a point and shoot camera. Would like to see some 'real' user photographs through the range of the camera. I've had a quick look through the forums but there seems to be a lack of 'user' photograph examples with this camera at the moment. Video isn't really important to me at the moment but would appreciate anyone that could post some images for me to check out.

Looking forward to joining in the community of Panasonic

Howie
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:59 PM   #2

Howie

I have a thread called White sands of PA the second set of pictures are with the FZ-100 although they are not very good. I am a beginner, but look for pictures by LTZ740 he has some very nice shots with the FZ100 he also has the FZ 40, fz50 ,fz35 i think. Anyway he will tell you the fz100 takes some work to get good results, if you just take it out of the box and set it on IA and star to shoot I believe you will be unhappy. Most people have been.You going to have to play with the settings to get good results. If you are more into the video end I understand it really good. I have only shot one video I thoight it did well.

Mark
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:33 PM   #3

Howie...Pop is correct...FZ100 is an outdoor camera...you can get some decent results at night or indoors, with a little work...the SX30 is CCD and the FZ100 is CMOS...the SX30 is soft and takes some PP to acquire excellent results, but it can...the FZ100 is in aleague of it's own and can take some excellent good lighting shots...the FZ40 is a CCD and can get some excellent results SOOC or the FZ35 either one and both are true P&S cam's...
The FZ100 is blazing fast and the 5 Shot Burst AF is amazing to say the least...if you are going to shoot outdoor action or even very good lit indoor action it can do really well dependant upon your skills...
I would buy from Amazon with a 30 day return and give the FZ100 a test run...the Amazon Warehouse Deals Open Box Returns are all excellent I have bought many Panasoniuc FZ35's and one FZ100 this way and very satified as the FZ100 had only 30 clicks on it and the most one of the FZ35's had was 150 clicks which is nothing...all in perfect condition...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:18 AM   #4

Thank you both for your help.

I'll be mainly using the FZ100 for outdoor shots and family days out. I want it as my walkabout camera as I explained, it saves me carrying all my DSLR gear about for a family day out.

I deliberated so long on both cameras and think I've made (hope so anyway) the right choice with the FZ100. Looking at the reviews and my needs it's definately a better choice for me over the Canon SX30 IS.

I've ordered it today from Amazon.co.uk, should be here by the 19th. Will try and take some photos and get them uploaded to see what people think

Thanks again for the help. If it doesn't do what I think it should be doing, I can always return it. I'm pretty sure though, it'll do what I want plus a bit more

I've linked a couple of photo's I've taken with my first DSLR (converted to black and white) when I had a Canon 10D or these could have been taken when I had the 20D, can't remember now

Last edited by howiem; Jan 13, 2011 at 4:23 AM. Reason: Had to get the correct links from Flickr to show the photos :)
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:37 AM   #5

Default Nice pic's!!

Very nice pictures, Howie- you obviously have a good eye- and the skills to go with it in photography.
I recently bought a FZ40.... after much, much study and deliberation. Reading everything I could find on the current like of cameras. I came to the conclusion that the main positive of the FZ100 was its burst speed and video capabilities... as well as zoom length. For image quality, it seemed the FZ35/40 consistently produced better IQ/had better comments. If you decide you don't like the FZ100, I'd certainly recommend giving the 35/40 a go. Good luck with which ever you find to be the keeper!
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:25 PM   #6

Based on everything I've seen so far, the FZ40 seems to be a great camera, better than the FZ100. Not that you can't get good results with the FZ100 but I think it is not as easy. It requires a lot of light and some PP'ing. The FZ40 produces excellent results OOC more consistently.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes James View Post
Very nice pictures, Howie- you obviously have a good eye- and the skills to go with it in photography.
I recently bought a FZ40.... after much, much study and deliberation. Reading everything I could find on the current like of cameras. I came to the conclusion that the main positive of the FZ100 was its burst speed and video capabilities... as well as zoom length. For image quality, it seemed the FZ35/40 consistently produced better IQ/had better comments. If you decide you don't like the FZ100, I'd certainly recommend giving the 35/40 a go. Good luck with which ever you find to be the keeper!
Wes
I think if the FZ100 doesn't work out for me I'll probably get the Canon SX30 IS. I won't rule out the FZ35/40 but having looked at the reviews I chose the FZ100 over these because of range video etc.

I'm more than happy to do post processing. When I had a Canon 10D it used to take quite a while to correct the photos with PP so I got kind of used to it. My Nikon D300 is very good out of camera with only minimal PP.

By the way I like your photos, very nice. Thanks for replying to me
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Based on everything I've seen so far, the FZ40 seems to be a great camera, better than the FZ100. Not that you can't get good results with the FZ100 but I think it is not as easy. It requires a lot of light and some PP'ing. The FZ40 produces excellent results OOC more consistently.
I looked at the FZ40 but I chose the FZ100 for things like video, higher burst rate. As mentioned earlier if the FZ100 doesn't work out for me I'll probably go with the Canon SX30 IS due to the extra range which can be useful.

Thank you for your help though, much appreciated

Last edited by howiem; Jan 13, 2011 at 3:54 PM.