Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:00 PM   #1

Default Low Light

Hi All

I have 3 pannasonic cameras. The Fz20 , FZ100 and the LX5. I never really learned how to use the FZ20. My question is this, is it possible to take low light snap shots indoors with people moving around without flash. I sem to get nothing but blurry or grainy photos. Or photos with large yellow splotches on them. I find the flash on the LX5 too harsh or maybe I'm to close. I havent used the flash much on the FZ100.
I thought maybe of looking into the Pentax K-x but not sure if this would do what I want either. I have had 50/50 success with these cameras on still subjects. I know I have a lot to learn but would like a little guidance.

Looks as if the FZ40/45 is the camera of choice lately. I have sen some great and impressive shots. I have seen some great shots with the FZ100 to. just not from me.

Thanks
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:39 PM   #2

The FZ40 and FZ100 have a special scene mode for shooting in low light, although at a reduced resolution. Although those cameras, like all point and shoots have small sensors which do not fair to well in low light and at high ISOs. The FZ40 and FZ100 and a few others do a decent job. Your best bet for good low light photos would be a DSLR, such as the Pentax K-X or similar.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1
David_MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:52 PM   #3

I'm not a pro, but what I know is,

If u do not want to use a flash indoor (low light) You always have to reduce the shutter speed to get a decent photo (I don't go over ISO 400). But when it comes to moving objects or people, you always have to increase the shutter speed to freeze them in the frame.
So, if I were u, I rather use the flash or some kind of indoor light with a faster shutter speed. If this doesn't work, I reduce the ISO and check if it works.
chirantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:48 PM   #4

The High Sensitivity Scene Mode that has been mentioned is quite effective, and has produced some excellent photos for me. I have worked at developing my skills with it for over the last three weeks.

The attached photo is one that I took during the class I was teaching yesterday (01/18) on digital cameras, as a demonstration photo with my FZ40. The exposure was F 3.7 at 1/80th using ISO 2000. No flash was used!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 20, 2011 at 12:09 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 3:28 AM   #5

Pop get you a good flash that swivels up and use bounced flash on the LX5 and the FZ100 for good results! That is the only way to freeze motion and get a great photo indoors of folks/pets moving...the bounced flash doesn't create harsh shadows or blown out portions of the photo...you can also add a cheap diffuser to soften the flash even more to your taste...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:14 PM   #6

Flash action shots are hard to take. They require a very powerful flash and very good flash skills. As only your LX5 and FZ100 have hot shoes, they seem to be your better options, provided you get the right flash and start working on Flash Technique.

Why the requirement for Flash Action shots?? Are you shooting basketball or something like that?? I think we need some more information, please.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:03 PM   #7

Sarah

No I'm not really taking action shots just snaps at christmas parties or other indoor activities like family get togethers. The LX5 shots ihave taken seem to intense on the flash even when turned down. Without flash they are blurred and or grainy. I haven't tried the fz100 much with flash. I just didn't know whether to keep trying with the ZX5 and FZ100 or to go to something like the Pentax K-x. I do not any expierence with DSLR and do not know if this is the way to go or not. I just liked more natural color without flash. I certainly could by a external flash for cheaper than a DSLR. I just wondered if it is possible, maybe snaps at parties is not possible with a DSLR without flash either.
Some samples below the first 2 static images I like .The third is with no flash its ok you can see some blur of peoples faces. the 4th is with flash and although it is not blown out I'm just not that fond of it. The ones that are really bad are the ones wher I am within 3 to 4 feet. The last no flash lots of blur. I would post settings but that is not easy info to get either.

Thanks for advise
Mark
Attached Images

Last edited by popellis; Jan 20, 2011 at 7:23 PM. Reason: Photo didn't load
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:36 PM   #8

Pop-

Going to a Pentax Kx model would involve too much complexity. A DSLR is a fairly complex camera to begin to learn from scratch. And the Pentax Kx dies not solve your flash problems.

My suggestion would be to go to a good external flash on your LX5 that could bed used with a diffuser and/or used as a bounce flash.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 23, 2011, 1:17 PM   #9

Thank you all for the help.

Sarah I like your High Sensitivity photo other than it looks to be a static posed shot. Would it be as clear if he moved?

LTZ470
I see a Bower SFD9260 will work on the Fz100 just not sure it will also work on the LX5.

I also jumped over to the Pentax forum and read some of there low light questions and seem for indoor photography in low light they recommend flash also.
I have really gotten confused on which is better DSLR or (I will call them Advanced ) P&S. The main complaint I hear with DSLR is weight and the many lenses you need. The P&S is the small sensor size and noise at higher ISO. Which I believe the DSLR suffer from also just at a higher range.

I went with the FZ's to begin with because I got tired of taking pictures of my fingers with the small cameras. my hands arent huge but they always seem to get in the way. I think there is a lot to learn about these camera's Im not sure how much more confusing a DSLR would be ,with all the settings the FZ and The LX have that can be confusing enough.
Do I plan on ever becoming a pro photographer? No, But that doesn't mean I would want to take a picture of someone or something that someone would like to keep. I took a picyure of my sister in law once with a little fuji camera that turned out great. It was one of the best pictures I had seen of her.
I,m rambling again sorry
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:47 PM   #10

Pop-

It is the volume and intensity of light that creates the shutter speed based on the aperture that the camera has selected.

One of the nice things is that the High Sensitivity Scene Mode allows the use of flash. So the added flash will provide an even higher shutter speed which would, based on the volume and intensity of the lighting, nicely stop any action and prevent blurring.

Sarah Joyce