Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 22, 2011, 5:20 PM   #1

Default Suggestions for FZ35 in crowds of people

May sound like a dumb question, but maybe somebody has some suggestions.

I will be going to Wash DC on Monday, Jan 24, for March for Life (5 hr bus ride, about 150 in our group). I intend to shoot lots of pictures. I have been there before, so know something of what to expect. My intent is to capture different kinds of images so that those who see the series will get an understanding of what happened, the people, etc. Some shots will be close, some far, some of important buildings (e.g. Washington Monument, Mall, Capitol, Supreme Court, etc).

Crowds are huge, and packed tight. There is never much room to "move for a better shot." At this point, the weather is to be 29, partly cloudy. This means heavy bundled clothing, and gloves.

Is it reasonable to put the camera on a strap? In other years, I've had a pocket camera, and put it in my coat pocket. The FZ35 will not go into a coat pocket. I've not yet used it with a strap. My initial thoughts are to use P and/or A. In my experience so far, I need to clamp down a bit, with EC to -2/3, for outdoor shots. I don't know about the Picture Adjustments -- no intentions of making any changes on those settings. Most shots will be outdoors, perhaps a few indoors at registration, at dinner afterward, but nearly all shots of importance will be outside.

If anybody has some experience in these situations, I would appreciate tips. I've done this before with my pocket camera, but have not been very satisfied with the results. Now that I have a better camera, I'm looking forward to much better outcomes. This will be a rare situation for shooting pictures for me. I am never into these crowd situations except once per year. There are no "do-overs."

Thanks.
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2011, 5:45 PM   #2

I always have my camera on a strap - one drop and it's gone. I either have the strap around my neck or I wrap the strap around my wrist several times. There are lots of ways to configure the strap. My main concern is damage due to dropping it.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:03 PM   #3

roger-

I carry a combination camera bag/purse. In tight crowds, it goes around my neck and hangs down in front of me. Crossing your arms, locks the bag nicely, and it is always in sight. The system works well.

It is best to have a companion/buddy with you that can keep an eye out when you are sighting through the EVF. Enjoy the trip and have a good time.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 22, 2011 at 9:06 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:38 PM   #4

If you are taking a lot of candid snapshots of people, you may want to set it to iA so you don't have to keep messing with settings. You can always set it to P or A, for special scenery or group shots.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:57 PM   #5

Oh, how painful!!! I logged in, spent 45, or more, minutes in creating a message of my experiences, with observations and questions. When went to "submit" apparently the system logged me out because of "inactivity." In getting back on, my long post is gone.... UGH! Is this what I should have expected?

I will draft again tomorrow, doing it offline, and then try to post again. Not a happy camper here....
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:35 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments above regarding shooting and handling the camera in crowds. Here are some after-event thoughts.

The camera was carried on the neck strap. Also, the small case I have was on a neck strap. I intended to do an “over the shoulder” carry, but the strap on the case is too short. The case could have been left on the bus – it only carried the lens cover most of the time. When in a very crowded Union station for eating, it was a place for security for the camera. Having both the camera and case on my chest was not a good arrangement. We were out on the Mall, around the Capitol, etc, for about five hours.
I shot 202 shots, all in P mode. The press of time just didn’t permit much experimenting. The day was high overcast, with some peeks of blue sky later in the day. Most shots were ISO 80, with higher f stops, and shutter speeds of 1/125 or 1/250. Most shots were taken at EC -2/3, a few at -1. In hindsight, I should have shot more at -1, or even -1 1/3. I have too many shots that are overexposed. Many of the shots were not backlit. These shots have white buildings (e.g. US Capitol) jetting into a white sky, with not much distinction of subject. The shots of the Supreme Court area are better – backlighting, and mostly blue skies during a brief period. I made all shots at 8mp.

Temperatures were cold, 22 F on arrival at the Mall, 28 at a Union Station when leaving late afternoon. This meant having to wear gloves. This proved to be very difficult. I have tight, insulated gloves (needed to keep fingers from going numb). Shutter operation was OK. But , the glove often caught the zoom lever, and I had an unintended 18X zoom when I went to shoot the next image. Also, holding the camera between shots sometimes activated the EC control, and I had EC of -2, again unintended. Finger control was not good for these small buttons. I’m not sure what to do about this. Many times, I had to take one glove off to get the camera reset.

Focusing was quick. Where I wanted to get a people-shot, my intent was to get in, frame the shot, get the shot, and get out, ASAP so as not to distract, the focus was good. It worked more quickly than my previous camera. My only shot that was not sharp was an 18X (perhaps the only one at 18X) was of an armed guard on the Capitol steps with an automatic weapon. Obviously, I was not very close, but wanted the shot.

I culled the 202 shots down to 142, and made a Picasa Web Album. Nearly every image was given a caption. I distributed the link to many people. My intent was to “tell the story.” Feedback has been good in this regard. Nobody has been impressed with the technical quality of the shots. To this end, I may have been able to do as well with my Canon AS1100 pocket camera. I reviewed last year’s shots, and am favorably impressed with the outcome of the AS1100 work. I would be hard pressed to justify the added challenge of carrying the larger camera.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:19 PM   #7

Sounds like you learned a lot about your camera's operations. Would you be interested in posting a few photos, or a link to your Picasa site, so that we other FZ-35 newbies could learn from your experience?
Ajka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:48 PM   #8

Here is a sampling. Many have people that I do not wish to publish, but these are void of much personal display.

As you can see, not much definition on skylines. The last one of this group is the best of the lot -- sun came out, skies cleared, and backliglht.
Attached Images

Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:50 PM   #9

A few more...

I was pleased with available-light images inside Union Station. I've included one of them here.
Attached Images

Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:14 PM   #10

On the problem with gloves have you ever tried fingerless ones - well half-fingers actually? I wear them all the time in winter for photography, driving, even typing when the heating fails at work! In UK we would call them fishing gloves (so fishermen can tie flies), or shooting gloves. Even sailing or cycling gloves with cut-away finger tips are good. You will be surprised to discover that if your wrists & backs of hands & palms are snug & warm your fingers are less numb - they can even get quite toasty once the blood is circulating! Some styles have a full thumb - for photography you need the type with the thumb tip also cut away to access things like the tiny joystick more easily.

Here's a link to illustrate
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/sh...ss-234793.html