Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:55 AM   #11

Nice shots there, I always struggle with "people shots"...always find it easier to shoot animals LOL!!!
My Flickr
dropmyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:03 AM   #12

Thank you Mark for post I really appreciate the time and effort you put into your post.

On #1, I agree on both accounts (bike & lighting) I much prefer your take on it Thank you for editing, I see what you mean now.

2. My wife agrees with you, she never thought much of that photo

3. I couldn't get a decent facial shot, she was looking into the sun and was always squinting..... So i thought I'd get "artsy" and take at shot from ground level, to try exaggerate her height. Ill will try a crop.

4. Can't believe I cut off her feet

Thanks again for your thoughts. I'll make an extra effort to get faces in my next photo op.

My Flickr

Last edited by Joe Bananas; Jan 25, 2011 at 9:13 AM. Reason: typo
Joe Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:16 AM   #13

@Dropmyload - If I had access to the type of animals you shoot, Id be an aspiring animal photographer too You have some amazing and unique photos..

My Flickr

Joe Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:07 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bananas View Post
Thank you Mark for post I really appreciate the time and effort you put into your post.
You're welcome, glad to help!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
It's great when someone really desires to learn rather than only wanting to hear positive things

Here are a few thoughts from me.

#1 The first thing is something that I often miss myself when taking a shot, that is the first point of interest that the eye will see. Usually this is wherever there is the highest level of contrast, so the eye in this shot goes to the crossbar of the bike. The next thing is the whole shot is under exposed so needs some levels tweaking. I hope you don't mind but I've given what my take would be in the below edit. I've done one extra thing which is to make the lower portion of the photo a bit darker than the top. The reason behind this (and we are now talking higher level portrait 'rules') is that the face should always be the most lit part of a portrait, with the lighting here the shoulders were actually a bit brighter. It is a similar reason to the above the that eye is attracted away from the desired focal point being the face.

#2 Sorry to say this one does nothing for me, I'm sure it is a good family memory but it looks like a snap shot and based on other photos you are well above snap shots. Why does it look like a snap? Mainly that you are shooting down so the view is much like I would see if standing there, you want to be thinking outside the box. With children it is great to be at or below their level. The other thing is the face mostly missing. For this sort of shot, the expression could have made a real change to the outcome.

#3 Like this one. Lighting gives some nice shape, the exposure is good, love the sky to set off the rest of the shot and great that you haven't just slapped the main subject right in the centre. I do ask myself if I would like the shot better if the face was included. Generally having the face of a person helps you connect better but here we can feel the fun and excitement so I don't think it is needed. An option to consider (and it is personal choice which might be best) would be to crop the tree and the houses so you just have the sky and your subject.

#4 Really nicely done (with the exception of the feet ) The lighting is great, you have a lovely backlit shot exhibiting some cool rim lighting and then the scene of the water. Here you don't need the face, that wouldn't add to this shot in the same way as it would in #2.

You should be pleased with yourself for these. They show that you don't need a high end dSLR with a tasty lens to get nice shots!
Mark - I find it extremely educational to hear experts like yourself comment on photos because they are usually very different from my opinion, and that tells me that I have a LOT to learn about photography. For example, I really love #2, I thought it nicely captured the way kids really act around waves. #3, I thought the houses and the trees added height to the picture, although cropping the houses and leaving the top of the tall tree would look nice. And #4 didn't do anything for me. Maybe it's the missing feet, but I also feel like there just isn't enough water in the shot.

This makes me wonder how many "masterpieces" I'm deleting from the camera thinking they are no good.....
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:03 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [LEFT
saly[/LEFT];1194207]Mark - I find it extremely educational to hear experts like yourself comment on photos because they are usually very different from my opinion, and that tells me that I have a LOT to learn about photography. For example, I really love #2, I thought it nicely captured the way kids really act around waves. #3, I thought the houses and the trees added height to the picture, although cropping the houses and leaving the top of the tall tree would look nice. And #4 didn't do anything for me. Maybe it's the missing feet, but I also feel like there just isn't enough water in the shot.

This makes me wonder how many "masterpieces" I'm deleting from the camera thinking they are no good.....
LOL, doesn't mean I have everything right, and this is the great thing about photography (and other art forms), what I might like someone else will hate etc. There are general things (rules) that normally are very key but even so these rules are there to be broken for effect.

The key thing for me is to share my ideas and training with others, but also for them to hear the ideas of others so they can build their own style and thoughts.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:02 PM   #17

Very nicely done, Joe.
Craigj72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 1:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
Mark - I find it extremely educational to hear experts like yourself comment on photos because they are usually very different from my opinion, and that tells me that I have a LOT to learn about photography. For example, I really love #2, I thought it nicely captured the way kids really act around waves. #3, I thought the houses and the trees added height to the picture, although cropping the houses and leaving the top of the tall tree would look nice. And #4 didn't do anything for me. Maybe it's the missing feet, but I also feel like there just isn't enough water in the shot.

You're on the right track Saly...Mark can share some of his Wedding Photography shots that will make us feel very envious and he is also excellent with lighting...so more tips Mark...please..
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:02 AM   #19

Nice set, looks like you are well on your way learning the fz100. I still very occasionally miss the feet. I think I try to frame the shot too tightly when I should leave more around the subject and crop later as necessary.
VncvrIslandGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:54 AM   #20

Yes, I forgot to compliment the excellent shots Joe...absolutely beautiful...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote