Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:07 AM   #1

Default ZS7 again!

Hope evryone would be doing fine. As a silent (was not member though) I go through most of the forums and find the replies worthy and informative. You all will say "aah not again" but my question is regarding Panasonic ZS7. I have read many threads, reviews and critique but couldn't found my answers. As it depends on person and his type of shooting. Now to start, I can capture good shots and pretty good at the basics. I need a camera which has to be small and it should have good Auto mode (so that when i want to be infront of camera or away from it,and if my little brother uses it, pics turn out to be great).When in my hands I will play with settings but almost 70% time I wont be playing with them. I am good at photo-processing too.So to get it short I want to ask

1-Is ZS7 automode good enough to take good pictures?
2-Have read alot about low-light results..dont know wht you guys refer to but for me when there is less light i will use flash. To note I will capture potraits so will the flash photos turn out great or not?
3-Can settings can be saved?
4-I normally donot print out photos,if print out then the size the normal (i dont know dimensions).will I be pleased to see on TV and my computer?

These are enough I think. I know the UN of some members like FiveO, mtclimber and LTZ. I have seen most of replies from them for the like.
Is there any other camera recomended for me?
Is HX5 better for my type of shooting?
Will really appreciate the co opertation thanks

Last edited by funktastic; Jan 26, 2011 at 7:10 AM.
funktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:40 AM   #2

37 views 0 reply...i m being disappointed
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:02 AM   #3

Yes it will do OK in Auto, but it tends to bump up the ISO to high in certain situations and use a little too much NR...
These are photos with Flash iAuto mode so you can expect similar:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...ds-photos.html

Download the manual and it will answer a lot of questions prior to your purchase also:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCZS7.PDF
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:04 PM   #4

i have seen them they are great.so wht is the discussion about bad low light result?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 4:00 PM   #5

Because IF the lighting is too low you will have yellow splotches all over the photo and lotd of noise...so limit the Intelligent ISO to 400 Max and you won't have problems at all...

Most folks don't even take time to read the manual or to learn to use the ZS7 properly and then complain about the camera...when most of the time it is the photographer not the camera...
Old Jan 26, 2011, 4:27 PM   #6

Like most user guides, Panasonic books are pretty hard to follow. That's why I really like the PDF version where I can simply do a "Find" on a subject I'm looking for. I also picked up several books on general digital photography and always use them as reference. Great way to learn about composition, exposure, etc.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:00 AM   #7

thanks LTZ..usually it is always the man behind the camera who is responsible.I have seen some fabolous shots from point and shoots like yours but have also seen ppl having D7k or D5k and still complaining about quality.
why there's only 50$ difference between ZS7 and FZ40?any specific reason?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:34 AM   #8

Have no idea, but if you shop around you can get the ZS7 fairly cheap with an Open Box deal and at one time they were $229...
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:37 PM   #9

G'day Funktastic

you stated above ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by funktastic View Post
37 views 0 reply...i m being disappointed
not everyone reading a question [like yours above] feels competent to reply ...
I do not know much about the camera you are asking questions about, but I would like to offer you something different

You say in your main query ...
Quote:
2-Have read alot about low-light results..dont know wht you guys refer to but for me when there is less light i will use flash. To note I will capture potraits so will the flash photos turn out great or not?
My suggestion for you [after you buy your camera] is to consider buying an inexpensive slave flash gun to work with the camera's flash for low light portraits [google for "slave flash guns" to find some]

One of these devices positioned sideways to the camera, maybe held by your friend could make a big difference to the final photo, and make you look very professional

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by funktastic View Post
why there's only 50$ difference between ZS7 and FZ40?any specific reason?
You are probably suggesting that the ZS7 should cost less considering the fact that it's smaller and carries a much smaller lens. However, these vary two factors are the contributors to the higher cost of the compact cameras. The technology behind miniaturization is always more expensive.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote