Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:30 PM   #1

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy
Default When do you use a lens shade on your FZ45 and when not?

Hi everybody,

when do you use a lens shade on your FZ45 and when not?
How do you combine a lens shade with an circular polarizing filter on your FZ45, how do you handle this combination (first adjust the filter and than add the lens hood ...)?

Any thoughts, suggestions, example images?

Best regards,

Stefan
StefanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:15 PM   #2

The shade is helpful in avoiding lens glare when you are out in bright sun. However, I think you will find that most people don't use it because it's just too bulky.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:23 PM   #3

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Hi Saly,

I read the advice to use the lens shade permantly, not only to avoid lens glare but also to protect the front lense. The lens shade should also enhance IQ.

Have you ever seen a distinct effect of the mounted lens shade?

I am wondering how I can handle a circular polarizing filter together with the lens shade because of the accessibility of the filter ring with the mounted lens shade.

Best regards,

Stefan
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:39 PM   #4

Another reason why I don't use the shade is because I frequently use the closeup lens with the adapter tube. I have to remove the shade to attach the tube.

I personally haven't seen a comparison shot of with and without the shade, that would be an interesting experiment I will have to conduct some day.....

I don't own a polarizer so I can't offer any help there...sorry

If you are looking to protect your lens, then you can attach a UV filter, that would screw right into the lens, or on top of your polalizer. I don't think you can even attach the lens cap with the shade on, correct? So, in my opinion, the shade offers little protection of the lens.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:59 PM   #5

I also use a UV filter as a protection for the front lens.

It is possible to use the lens cap with the lens shade, there is no problem to use both in combination.

I want to use the polarizer to obtain better IQ and more intense colours.

Some people says, that the lens shade also gives some better IQ and colours, but at the moment I have also no comparison with and without a lens shade.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:02 PM   #6

Normally it is not needed, but when it is, almost always you will painfully know it. In such cases without the shade, you may be required to block the source of glare with your hand or a piece of cardboard to avoid a pronounced glare spot in the Viewfinder and hence the PIX.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:19 PM   #7

G'day Stefan

You ask a good Q ...
With many of today's cameras having a very exposed front lens element, many lenses are open to lens flare. While the lens maker's give us a lens hood, these are designed for use at the wide-angle part of the lens - not the mid zoom or max zoom !!!

When taking my pix, I often place my hand over the front of the lens - the same as shading my eyes when looking at a bright subject. I have also made my own lens hood for the FZ35 when using it over 12x zoom ... it is 18cm long

Here is a sample of an unshaded / shaded lens

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:37 PM   #8

Hi Phil,

this comparison is really very impressive.
Thanks a lot for sharing this images.

What is about your FZ35, is there a original lens hood from Panasonic and what was the reason for you to design your own lens hood?

Do you also use polarizers in combination with your lens hood and if so, how do you handle the polarizers?

Best regards,

Stefan
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanS View Post
Hi Phil,

this comparison is really very impressive.
Thanks a lot for sharing this images.

What is about your FZ35, is there a original lens hood from Panasonic and what was the reason for you to design your own lens hood?

Do you also use polarizers in combination with your lens hood and if so, how do you handle the polarizers?

Best regards,

Stefan
Hi Stefan.
My FZ35 came with the Panasonic hood/adaptor and although I have used it a few times, I find it a bit bothersome as it seems to get in the way.
You can use a CP filter with the hood as the filter screws onto the lens when it is zoomed out and the hood/hood adaptor attach to the front.
I am no expert but I wonder if you use the CP filter, whether you need the hood as the filter is used to "suppress the reflected light from a metal or non spherical surfaces (flat non metallic surfaces, water vapour or invisible particles in the air), making it possible to take a picture with enhanced contrast".
I found the CP filter excellent for shots of snow, ice and water.
Perhaps someone with knowledge of filters/hoods could help you more.
Cheers Lyn
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:07 PM   #10

Hi Stefan,

I have never used the hood - too bulky to carry, although there have been times I would have lived to have it. Those times are rare, when the sun causes glare on the lens, and it's easier to shade by hand etc.

I have definitely used the CPL a fair bit, mainly around the beach etc., and I was fairly happy with the results even though it's a very cheap filter I've got.

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote