Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:36 PM   #1

Default What is EZ zoom?

I have done a search for the EZ zoom function here after reading about it on Amazon. I saw numerous threads that posted some photos, but they didn't really explain what it was. Since I am thinking about the FZ35 I am wondering what it is, exactly, and what your opinions are of it. I saw a post that said it was an extended optical zoom. I saw somewhere else that it was a kind of digital zoom, but then I saw EZ referenced separately from digital zoom. Is it some sort of hybrid or just a digital zoom gimmick? To me, it just sounds like digital zoom.
JayC_783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:51 PM   #2

EZ (extended zoom) is an optical zoom. However, the picture quality is slightly reduced because it is using a smaller portion of the sensor. For the FZ35, you must lower the picture size to 8mp (in 4x3 aspect ratio). It is still orders better than a digital zoom. Once you select the smaller picture size, you will see the letters EZ in your zoom value bar in your LCD. It kicks in after you zoom pass your 18x, and continues until 32x. Once you pass 32x, then your camera will switch to digital zoom.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:44 PM   #3

So EZ is optical then? How can it optically zoom in farther by reducing the number of MP? I'm just a bit confused over how it works.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:26 PM   #4

I may be totally wrong on this, but I think by making the sensor area smaller, the camera can extend the focal length. So, yes, it's still optical zoom but the quality is poorer because you are using a smaller sensor area. In comparison, digital zoom is like cropping an existing shot and enlarging, giving the illusion of more zoom.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:01 AM   #5

This brings to mind something that has been bugging me, lately. Someone mentioned something related to P, a specific type...that 'everyone' knows about...at least in the thread...and I am reading along and wondering a Glossary would be great at this time. I don't want to ask the same question that has been asked before, and have someone answer, Again...it would seem like a handy tool to have on a board such as this, and something a larger audience could read as not everyone will read a particular thread. Anyway just an idea.

Last edited by lisalonewolf; Jan 28, 2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: to add: if there is one, point me in the direction...have looked...
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:29 AM   #6

My understanding is the same as saly's - by using a smaller part of the sensor (and thus less megapixels), the same glass creates an effectively longer lens. Digital zoom works by cropping the image down, which means you are effectively using less of the lens.

I always keep digital zoom turned off so I can safely zoom to the max and not have to keep checking.

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:01 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I think I understand EZ zoom a bit better. I'm glad to hear it isn't a digital zoom. Digital zoom makes my skin crawl. I still have bad memories of an old, old HP 320.

Last edited by JayC_783; Jan 28, 2011 at 9:11 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:49 PM   #8

How do you turn EZ on ?
*Edit - I did a search and found out (lazy me should have done that in the first place)

Last edited by Forzahibs; Jan 28, 2011 at 4:58 PM.
Forzahibs is offline   Reply With Quote