Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:54 AM   #11

what size thread is the mount. The canon comes in 52mm, 58mm, 72mm and 77mm. If it is 55mm, you can get a ebay special 55mm to 58mm step up ring.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:07 AM   #12

The other thing you need to remember is that all close up conversion lens are softer on the edges. And when you mount them on small sensor camera's it is not that big of a deal as the image circle is much larger then the sensor. So you do not see the softness.

But when you mount them on a large sensor camera like a dslr. Those edges become apparent. The canon's close up lenses were design for canon slr originally back during film. So they have to be a higher grade lens to get better sharpness in the mid and outer mid area. The edges of the frame will still be soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSykes View Post
In my experience the raynox is extremely Sharp but the very thin dof makes it very easy to lose that sharpness with even minute movement of the camera.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 9:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSykes View Post
In my experience the raynox is extremely Sharp but the very thin dof makes it very easy to lose that sharpness with even minute movement of the camera.
Correct the Raynox is "finicky" to focus and getting the focus in the right spot with a paper thin DOF...the LC55 is a much more user friendly & forgiving Conversion Lens...as you can see the Raynox is great for up close detail, but the LC55 will allow you to shoot Butterflies and capture ALL of the Butterfly and the flower in one photo together for composition the Raynox won't do that...the LC55 is the most versatile...

Martin you can add ext tubes to your new DSLR setup and get the same effect as the Raynox 150 and 250...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 1:03 PM   #14
csa

Thanks so much Saly, for taking the time for these comparison shots! Excellent sharpness on both. It would seem that it would be fun to have both of these to play around with!
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 1:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Correct the Raynox is "finicky" to focus and getting the focus in the right spot with a paper thin DOF...the LC55 is a much more user friendly & forgiving Conversion Lens...as you can see the Raynox is great for up close detail, but the LC55 will allow you to shoot Butterflies and capture ALL of the Butterfly and the flower in one photo together for composition the Raynox won't do that...the LC55 is the most versatile...

Martin you can add ext tubes to your new DSLR setup and get the same effect as the Raynox 150 and 250...

Yep, I found it IMPOSSIBLE to focus on a moving target with the Raynox. Only got the ladybug when he stopped to eat.... Also very hard to focus on isolated small targets. Tripod probably would have helped, but I'm too lazy to carry one.....

#1 LC55

#2 Raynox - I could not focus on the tip of the stigma no matter how I tried - will try manual focus next time. Brownie did a much better job of making this shot!!

Last edited by saly; Jan 29, 2011 at 1:37 PM.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 2:18 PM   #16

I'll echo others who have thanked you for doing this comparison. It certainly helps point out the differences between these two conversion lenses.
Ajka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:10 PM   #17

Interesting Saly and nice shots too, but you always get nice shots. Do you change the appature in P mode before shooting? Brownie told me about it in my '3 Macros' post.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:13 PM   #18

It would be interesting to compare those lenses having the subject the same size in both photographs, that is not to go very close with the raynox. Could you please post some shots like that?
a.

Last edited by kibaris; Jan 29, 2011 at 3:19 PM.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibaris View Post
It would be interesting to compare those lenses having the subject the same size in both photographs, that is not to go very close with the raynox. Could you please post some shots like that?
a.
kibaris - with the Raynox I can't pull back any more than this. You are pretty much stuck with this size.

What I can do is to crop and enlarge the LC55 shots to make it the subject same size as Raynox to compare image quality. Is that what you mean?
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Interesting Saly and nice shots too, but you always get nice shots. Do you change the appature in P mode before shooting? Brownie told me about it in my '3 Macros' post.

Thanks eysha - No, I haven't tried changing the aperture in P mode. If I have the need for it, I just switch over to the A mode, or use the EV compensation (+/-).