Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 29, 2011, 2:21 PM   #11

Nice job ... I'm a macro-nut. I love cyclamens ... and the pink is so delicate in hue, yes? The spray bottle for misting is a great idea ... I love photo'ing water drops. Keep meaning to keep one in my bag ... but forget until I need it ... isn't that always the case?

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 2:49 PM   #12

Thanks everyone. I will probably paint the first one and i like the idea of using a spray bottle LTZ. I know about the Golden Mean being an artist LTZ and should have cropped it better i agree.
Brownie i am gonna practise that and see if it works for me as it would be so useful so thanks for that info.
Geofftay, is it frosty over there? I have links there, Brampton, and love the area.
Thanks Sarah, Saly, funktastic, Katsi and csa. It being so cold here lately there is nothing really to photograph but i need the practise.
csa, you must have some wonderful scens to shoot being in Montana - wow.
Will keep practising as i now have a graphite i need to photograph so that will help me learn too and i hope to post more soon.
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:02 PM   #13

Brownie, i tried your suggestions and it worked. Thanks for that. That should help a lot as i didn't know about that, will try photos tomorrow hopefully using that new knowledge.
Wish someone could translate that manuel into easy English, lol.
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Thanks everyone. I will probably paint the first one and i like the idea of using a spray bottle LTZ. I know about the Golden Mean being an artist LTZ and should have cropped it better i agree.
Brownie i am gonna practise that and see if it works for me as it would be so useful so thanks for that info.
Geofftay, is it frosty over there? I have links there, Brampton, and love the area.
Thanks Sarah, Saly, funktastic, Katsi and csa. It being so cold here lately there is nothing really to photograph but i need the practise.
csa, you must have some wonderful scens to shoot being in Montana - wow.
Will keep practising as i now have a graphite i need to photograph so that will help me learn too and i hope to post more soon.
E.
Yes, Eysha I went and looked over all of your beautiful paintings...they are awesome, you are a very talented young lady! You should be instructing us!!!

Last edited by LTZ470; Jan 29, 2011 at 4:01 PM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:05 PM   #15

LTZ, you are very kind. I would be happy to help anyone in that area. My art is the reason i bought a camera, to take photos as art refs, but i got into it a bit more. I see photos here and they are so paintable,lol.

Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:20 PM   #16

Nice photos, I agree with brownie that sometimes pink is difficult to capture. Well done. Lyn
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 7:13 AM   #17

Thanks Lyn.

Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:19 AM   #18

Eysha - glad my instructions worked out for you! I noticed you referred to this on another thread also. This of course for P mode alters the f stop AND the shutter speed each time you move the joystick up or down. So you get the SAME exposure but a different DOF. If you use M mode you are free to set both f & speed spearately (well that is my understanding) for more "creative" exposures - ie you can set a combo of f & speed that the camera might think is wrong, but you want to use it for a particular effect. Now I must stop paddling as I am getting a little out of my comfort depth, but am sure someone else will kick in & explain a bit more about this.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 5:23 PM   #19

Thanks Brownie, yes i did refer to your instructions in other posts as i found them very useful so though they would be good for others too.
I do hope others will explain further too as it is all educational.
Thanks again Brownie.

Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:03 PM   #20

P mode is good for starters , but eventually you learn which settings camera tends to use , that is time to move to M mode.I dont like P mode I dont know , it limits me too much

In M mode - you can control virtually everything.
In last month I finally managed to set manual focus right - In some in some cases , even better than the camera sets.

Ok for start you dont have to do that - just set the aperture and shutter speed.
For aperture its easy - I use general rule - if you are taking pictures of people or indoor subjects , use as low A value as it gets ( 2.0 ) , and if you are shooting outdoors , use higher value.

Shutter speed - thats trickier , first Id say its important to enable histogram (I think thats the right word).When you turn it on , you press button for taking photos halfway and the histogram tells you are your settings correct (eventually youll see that the moment you press for yourself on LCD, is picture under or over exposed or maybe with too much noise or blurry).
When you take like 100 photos in M mode , youll find it very easy .
When you got through basic shutter speed and aperture , its time to play with white ballance and ISO values.
To be honest , I dont mess with those two too often , but sometimes it can help.
You can also try setting saturation and/or contrast in Edit menu of the camera (its possible only in few modes , M mode is one of them).

Only problem is when I leave my Pany in M mode (and set WB, aperture , shutter sped , ISO value and manual focus ) and somebody else wants to take picture with it.
Most of the times pictures turn out ... not lovely to be honest.

Last edited by hrvoje xyz; Feb 3, 2011 at 12:09 PM.
hrvoje xyz is offline   Reply With Quote