Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:40 AM   #11

All great shots StefanS. Have you not got a picture processing program on your computer, this would allow you too turn all your images...
geofftay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:51 AM   #12

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofftay2 View Post
All great shots StefanS. Have you not got a picture processing program on your computer, this would allow you too turn all your images...
Thanks a lot Geoff.

I have GIMP and Darktable on my PC, but the picture of the gray heron appears in the right orientation, but not after upload to the forum.

Cheers Stefan
StefanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanS View Post
Hi Katsie,

As I am a newbie in digital photography I need a lot of training and good tips. In summer I will spend three week hiking in the austrian alps, then I must be good enough to make good photos there from the mountains, flowers, capricorns, deers, chamoises ... It was around -4 C here, just a little bit colder as in CA ;-)
Hi Stefan,

I too am a relative newcomer to 'dslr-dom,' altho have had pretty good luck w/my Canon p&s. Just got a T1i/500D a couple days ago ... LOVE IT! ... Lots to learn, yes? (You might check out my album of former pix.) I hope to upload some photos from the T1i today or tomorrow.

Wow ... 3 wks in the Alps ... what a great treat! I'm jealous ... (o:

The long-tailed tit is so cute ... what lens are you using to get so close?

Re: temp ... not as warm today and perhaps a little rain, but am not complaining compared to -4 C! (o: Do you have pix of the area where you live? Are you close to the Alps?

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:19 AM   #14

I love to see pictures from other countries.

Thanks.
Kapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:23 AM   #15

Mallard drakes are soooo photogenic with that lovely green head & yellow beak. Nice & sharp there - you even got the drops of water on his back.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:45 AM   #16

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapital View Post
I love to see pictures from other countries.

Thanks.
Hi Kapital,

yes, I also love it to see pictures and to get in contact with peaople from other countries.

Greetings,

Stefan
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsi View Post
Hi Stefan,

I too am a relative newcomer to 'dslr-dom,' altho have had pretty good luck w/my Canon p&s. Just got a T1i/500D a couple days ago ... LOVE IT! ... Lots to learn, yes? (You might check out my album of former pix.) I hope to upload some photos from the T1i today or tomorrow.

Wow ... 3 wks in the Alps ... what a great treat! I'm jealous ... (o:

The long-tailed tit is so cute ... what lens are you using to get so close?

Re: temp ... not as warm today and perhaps a little rain, but am not complaining compared to -4 C! (o: Do you have pix of the area where you live? Are you close to the Alps?
Hi Katsi,

all pictures were shot with a Panasonic Lumix FZ40/45, which is a superzoom bridge camera. The long-tailed tit was shot with 600 mm focal length.

I am living and working in Marburg, which is around 600 km from the alps. I will try to make some pix from the area here for you.

Where can I find your album?

Weather: today +2 C, forecast for the night: -6 to -12 C!

Best regards,

Stefan
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:39 PM   #18

Stefan-

Today's photos that you posted offer a chance to talk about the use of spot focusing/spot metering. In your #1 photo of the wren on a branch. Your camera metered its exposure on the background, which is brighter than the wren bird.

The result was that the wren bird is underexposed considerably. Yes, it a solution possible, but not perfect, using photo editing software. It would have been better to have actually metered on the bird.

I did a quick bit of work with Photoshop Elements 8.0 on the wren photo, and this is the result.

The #2 photo from today has just the opposite problem. The bird is overexposed. Again, spot metering, spot focus would have helped that photo as well. All in all these are good shots, they just need a little different technique.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 30, 2011 at 12:42 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:49 PM   #19

Hi Sarah Joyce,

thanks a lot for this comment.

I just checked the settings of my FZ40/45 and oops it was accidently set to multi metering instead center metering. In most cases I use the center metering setting. Such a shame :-( but I am happpy, that you identified the problem with my today pictures.

Best regards,

Stefan
Old Jan 30, 2011, 2:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Stefan-

Today's photos that you posted offer a chance to talk about the use of spot focusing/spot metering. In your #1 photo of the wren on a branch. Your camera metered its exposure on the background, which is brighter than the wren bird.

The result was that the wren bird is underexposed considerably. Yes, it a solution possible, but not perfect, using photo editing software. It would have been better to have actually metered on the bird.

I did a quick bit of work with Photoshop Elements 8.0 on the wren photo, and this is the result.

The #2 photo from today has just the opposite problem. The bird is overexposed. Again, spot metering, spot focus would have helped that photo as well. All in all these are good shots, they just need a little different technique.

Sarah Joyce
Sara Joyce,

I did a little bit PP with Darktable and this is the result.
I think it is much better, what is your opinion?

Cheers,

Stefan
Attached Images